[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Apple Pay
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: Apple Pay
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:04 pm 

So who is using it, going to use it, can't use it, not bothered about it, never heard of it?

Post subject: Re: Apple Pay
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:48 pm 

Not bothered, quicker to get my card out.

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

I have a card entered, but not one I can use much. I need Lloyds to be onboard before I could use it much.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:07 pm 

I have today with my Apple Watch at Giraffe Restaurant and worked perfectly but Costa Coffee was a different matter. The girl got flustered and it wouldn't scan. I tried twice so gave up and went old school with cash. Still early days but found it very useful and easy when it worked.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:36 pm 

Used it in Pret a Manger. A Bit of a delay as I couldn't help but press the Home button. Next - the tube!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:06 pm 

Woke up this morning and first thing I did was to try to enter my cards into Passbook.
My main credit card doesn’t working yet but another does and so does my bank debit card.

Setup was real easy and so off I trotted to town to try it out. First shop I came to, my local paper shop, doesn't do contactless so I decided to get a tea in Costa. I felt myself getting excited and a little nervous in the que. I asked for a tea and some crisps then asked if they take contactless as I thought they wouldn't have heard of Pay. The manager heard me and leaned over to say "We take Apple Pay too", he must have seen me holding my phone ready as I waited to be served. I held my phone to the terminal and in a second it was complete. It was a like little bit of Apple magic. The manager bought my tea over and we had a little chat. He had set his cards up in the morning and had actually paid for a customers coffee so he could see it working.

I finished my tea and went off to Boots to try it there next. The guy at the till hadn’t heard of Pay so I told him I was paying with Contactless. When I held my Phone to the terminal and payed he exclaimed “Wow, that’s cool!”.

Finally, I got some food at Marks & Spencer’s. This time I didn’t mention Pay but just waved my phone and said I’d pay with that. The lady behind the till looked at me strangely so I sad “Apple Pay?”. Again she hadn’t heard of it so I told her to do Contactless and once more held my phone to the terminal. She was mightly impressed so was the customer behind me.

All in all it was a great experience. Apple has made it very easy to setup and use. The only fly in the ointment is in two of the three shops I went into they hadn’t heard of Pay , though payment worked fine when I explained it to them. I think Apple and the retailers that are accepting it should make their staff more aware of Pay but I suppose they will quickly learn.

I’m a very happy bunny.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:37 pm 

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:51 pm 

I set it up so it is available to me, but usually I use cash. I don't often spend less than £20 but I will sometime just to give it a go. I was interested to see that it is supposed to work with any contact-less terminal, not just for the declared partners. I'd love a Watch to do it with but not at that price and maybe not the first hardware iteration. Slightly off topic - I know someone who won one and has no Apple kit or intent to buy any. Lucky man.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

The Apple Watch won't be much use to him. Pretty useless without an iPhone really.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:20 pm 

Indeed. He knows it. As he is an internet contact, I do not know what he did with it yet. Probably went to a relative or on fleaBay.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

A nice few quid in the pocket! :)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:46 am 

I finally used Apple Pay. The shop assistants (Lakeland) didn't think they took it but the contact-less point was happy. They were as upbeat about it as I was.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:50 am 

I have now been able to add a Lloyds Bank card. Used it twice, once in Costa which worked perfectly first time, once in the Post Office which took a couple of goes to work.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:59 am 

It's very useful when using it on the London Undergroud too. Worked seamlessly.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:59 am 

I have to say I'm disappointed with it. Part of the problem is the retailers whose equipment is unreliable, I've had mine both work and be refused at Sainsburys, Waitrose and Pret a Manger.

Another part of the problem is the infrastructure, I can only pay for stuff up to £30 and for that using a contactless card is more reliable and so much quicker.

For Americans I assume the experience seems better because they haven't had contactless before.

If they started emailing me full receipts, letting my accounts app know about the transaction automatically and speed the thing up, I might start using it again.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS