[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - iPhone SE
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: iPhone SE
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:36 pm 

It looks a great phone and a likely replacement for my 5s. But what does the SE mean? I've watched the Keynote but no explanation was given (or I blinked at the wrong time).

Lorimer

Post subject: Re: iPhone SE
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:27 pm 

Special Edition.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:29 pm 

I think it's like a Model T Ford with a new engine and chassis. It may go quick and work ok but it still looks old.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:25 am 

Slightly Eggy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:46 pm 

My first Mac, way back in 1987 was a Mac SE with dual floppy and 1MB RAM. Later extended to 4MB and equipped with a 30MB hard drive which cost a fortune.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:40 pm 

I was on the verge of getting an iPhone but was holding off until the keynote as I'd heard the rumours - I still think the iPhone 6 is too large for me and I'd prefer the 4" screen. However, I was never a fan of the old square edge design that came with the iPhone 4, I was really hoping that it would have the design of the iPhone 6, but in a smaller form factor. Sadly, Apple haven't gone down that route, I agree with Chris, it looks like a dated design now. I also want a 128Gb model, and they don't offer that in the iPhone SE either. Damn you, Apple!!

So, mind made up (for me), I'll be buying an iPhone 6 S very soon! ;-)

I do think with the current iPad lineup, it looks confusing from a consumer's point of view, you now have two 9.7" screen iPads with not a big enough USP to distinguish them apart, except from sticking a "Pro" tag on it. Of course, there's much more to it than that, but your average consumer won't look at the technical specs in that much detail.

Then they still have the iPad Mini 2 as well as the iPad Mini 4 in the range. Like I said, looking at it from a customers' viewpoint it's too confusing. Apple need to clear out some of the older products when they add new models IMHO.

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:52 am 

I agree. I don't know what their obsession is with running older products. Why is the Mini 2 the next option down from the Mini 4? Why are they obsessing over larger thinner iPhones and then releasing the SE which looks like a product that should have been the final iteration before the iPhone 6.

I ca see the pricing of the SE appealing to younger people, maybe teenagers who can't have a £600 6s justified, but other than that, I don't see the point. You're going forward in one direction, or you're not?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:04 pm 

Teenagers getting an old design phone... You are getting old Dan if you think that's ever going to happen!! ;) :lol:

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:41 pm 

I understand from press reports today that the main part of the world where mobile use has not yet reached saturation is India. Hence the introduction of Apple's cheapest phone yet. Also, millions of people still have an iPhone 4 (my wife), or 5s (me) and will be ready to upgrade but are not interested in "bigger is better".
My 64gb 5s cost me over £700 three (four?) years ago!! I can now replace it with the 'same' phone which is more than twice as fast with loads of other significant improvements (camera, ID Touch), for just over half that price. It always was thus. My wife is about to get a super new phone!

Or should I wait another six months until September for the iPhone 7? :?:

Lorimer

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:17 pm 

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:44 pm 

I'll probably go for this. Didn't want a 6S as they're too large and thin - too likely to get bent in my pocket. The SE retains the more robust structure and manageable size that I'm used to with my 4S while bringing the tech up to date. Perfect!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:05 pm 

I'm getting one.

Your warning level: [ 1 ]

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:02 pm 

The time to replace my 4, has long passed, it looked scruffy and was incompatible with all our other kit.
So last week on a quick trip to UK called at the local Apple store, all sold out except for 1 64Gb in Black, and 1 16GB in Rose gold, so which one to take! I had the 4 in black and did not want another black one, so now have a Rose Gold, which I have quickly become attached to, its in a book form case, so most of the colour is concealed. Apart from that it's a very good phone, and I just did not want the larger size of the 6 range. I like to keep it in a trouser pocket so the size is ideal.

[size=85][color=#0000FF]13" MacBook Pro TouchBar M1 chip 512 Gb, Magic Keyboard, Black Magic Trackpad. iPad Air 4the Gen Blue 64GB wi-fi, 2 x iPhone SE 2020 64GB one white in pink case, in black,blue case. Apple TV 3rd Get

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:38 pm 

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:41 am 

I've replaced my 4S with the SE. The 6 is too big for me and the way I use the iPhone. Very pleased with the speed boost - and Apple Pay. The fingerprint access is working very well and even Siri, which was pathetic on the 4S, seems to work much better.

Of course this could all be post purchase rationalisation.

Apple TV4
AirPods
plus several other Macs around the house

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS