[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - GiffGaff, Three or Other
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: GiffGaff, Three or Other
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:43 pm 

Hello Folks. I've happily used GiffGaff as my iPhone service provider for years - but they are an expensive pain when travelling abroad.

So I'm thinking of swapping to Three as their network advertises using your 'phone abroad at no extra cost.

Thoughts, comments? Does anyone here use an iPhone on the Three network?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:26 pm 

I use three, I have the 3 2 1 sim only. Im a light user so that suits me for now. Thats 3p a call 2p a text and 1p a mb. £10 usually lasts about 6 weeks so thats fine for me. The cheapest one they do, sim only contract costs £8 per month.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:17 pm 

I would check to see if you actually have a signal with Three in the areas where you use it most. I had thought about moving to them because of their data deals so I purchased a pay and go SIM with them to check and found that there was precisely ZERO signal in my home (where I work from) so couldn't make any phone calls unless I went outside. This was despite their coverage checker claiming I would be able to make calls from indoors.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:38 pm 

Indeed. There is no Three signal at all at my house. EE claim there is but visitors on their network find that claim to be an exaggeration. In fact only O2 works here and I'm on Tesco (cheaper). Although Three bought O2, they have no plans to actually combine spectra. In fact, I've never seen 4G on mine.

One of my kids is with Three. He likes the massive data allowance but even he has no signal at his house so uses their wifi call facility.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:59 pm 

Thanks for the warning! I'll definitely try a sim before committing. Does tethering work ok? Howsabout visual voicemail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:39 pm 

I was with O2 on contract since the original iPhone came out. i travell quite a lot to Europe and had to put up with either expensive roaming data costs, or turn data roaming off. Last year I switched to Three on pay as you go. At the time they had the £15 add-on which gave 300 voice minutes, unlimited texts and all you can eat data. This also allowed you to use all of that allowance - including the data - while abroad in any of their 'stay at home' countries. The data was limited to 25GB per month while roaming though, and they don not allow tethering at all on the pay as you go plans. That said, I managed to get roaming whilst abroad by putting the sim in my iPad and sharing the connection from that.

They have since upped the price to £20 for the same plan, and reduced the roaming data allowance to 12GB I think it is now, which I found very annoying, but there's still no better offer out there.

You can get a free sim with £10 of credit to try for signal and data use - that's what I did. Be sure to check the stay-at-home countries list to see if it fits your needs for roaming, and be aware that call/text allowance only applies to UK numbers, so if you need to call/text foreign numbers that will be charged separately even in a stay at home county, and if on payG with an inclusive addon, you'd need extra credit for such charges.

Overall it's the best value for me as I use data quite heavily, but it does have some limitations as above so YMMV...

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:53 am 

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

What about getting a local SIM for you trip and sticking with GiffGaff in the UK?

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:38 pm 

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, that can be a pain

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:29 pm 

How about call forwarding from your giffgaff sim to say a 3 sim.

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help- ... -p/4940134

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Won't that cost the same as just taking the GG sim abroad?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:40 pm 

Don't know was thinking out loud :roll:

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

Me too!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Changes to GiffGaff pricing coming soon...
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Commu ... e=giffgaff

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS