[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Explanation please on data usage
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:19 pm 

This is my first few months of being on a contract after years of being on PAYG. I have a 500mb limit for my data usage.

System services use some data I'm ok with that part of it, but.

Some system services that are consuming data I don't understand why. Siri, Game Center, Mapping Service and iTunes Media Services.

1. Siri is turned off. Why is data consumed ?.

2. Game Center. Not signed in to it. Why is data consumed ?.

3. Mapping Service. Never use maps on phone (car has its own inbuilt Sat Nav). Why is data consumed ?.

4. iTunes Media Services. Don't use music on phone, unless it refers to app updates. But apart from when I'm out WiFi is my preferred connection.

When on PAYG as I didn't have a data allowance and never noticed the usage before. But now I'm on a contract data suddenly is mysteriously being consumed by services that as far as I'm aware are either switched off or not signed into.

Since my reset of monthly data (3 days ago) the phone has consumed 14 mb of data via system services. On checking settings>mobile data, and scroll down the list of apps 99% I have turned off, I see only a few kb's have been used by the allowed apps, adding up doesn't even come to a mb.

Anybody offer me an explanation to my questions.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:32 pm 

Have you got Wifi Assist turned on? If you have, iPhone will use mobile data when wifi connectivity is poor.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:49 pm 

Also check Settings > Privacy > Location Services - it will use data for Find my iPhone, Emergency SOS, Setting Time Zone amongst many others - System Services may be because of that.

Oh, and just an opinion - 500Mb is a paltry amount of data to be honest, 1Gb is the minimum I would recommend. I have 4Gb and I use about 2.5-3.5Gb a month.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:56 pm 

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:28 pm 

First:
In all of the above, you are talking about MB and GB (bytes).

Second:
I have a (very cheap) contract, with only 200MB per month. Why? 'cause that's more than what I need, and do not wish to pay for something that I don't use. Strange, huh?
Not everyone - myself and Herodotus, clearly - lives and breathes and dies by our phone.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:19 pm 

Why not pay an extra £3 a month and then not worry about your iPhone using a little bit of data?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

I have a 500mb allowance per month and generally don't use it all. If I know I'll have a busier data usage, I can double the data for another £2.50. Works well for me, I never have to worry if there is enough data or not. My basic PAYG GiffGaff goodybag costs me £7.50 a month, no need to top up.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:49 pm 

You have never used much data. Really don't know how you do it.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:58 pm 

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:10 pm 

Pedantry is sometimes a problem which we should all try to avoid, yes.

But equally sloppiness of expression, for which pedanticism may just be a reaction, is also to be avoided. Sloppiness in speech and in textual conversation is everywhere these days and it can make understanding difficult, where details matter.

The English language is such a rich language with so many things worth preserving it's a shame to let it go. Language evolves we all know that. It's a shame modern technology is assisting in its degradation.

But each to their own, there's no need to be too fussy or precise either, as long as we can understand each other, that's all that counts really.

I suppose there's a time and a place for everything and this may not be the time or the place to be pedantic. Or precise.

Whatever, you're the boss, it's your forum, if you don't like it, stamp on it.

Yes, down with pedantry!

Who gives a toss anyway?

Up with complacency!

Last edited by Leewave on Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:13 pm 

@BBW
It was Herodotus who used the term "mb" in his original post.
I was "talking" to him.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:35 pm 

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:59 pm 

I wonder if Siri usage could be down to Voice Control? If Siri is off, Voice Control is on - I don't think there is an option to turn both off. Voice Control may have to access the same servers as Siri but I'm only guessing.

As for maps: Apple's own Maps is on the iPhone so unless you've hidden it, maybe it uses some data for location services or the car park location. I think "Show parked location" is on by default.

As for iTunes - I don't know.

Does a contract sim may turn things on as default and PAYG sim turn everything off. It's such a long my time since I had a PAYG phone - pre-data contracts - that I can't remember what it's like.

A phone call to Apple or your network may be your best bet.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:02 pm 

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:27 pm 

"As for maps: Apple's own Maps is on the iPhone..."
Chris: no way. If you are referring to the maps.

The app "Maps" is on the phone - but the maps are not.
One has to be connected to the Internet for a map to appear on a phone.

Regards,
My Good Self

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS