[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Stupid question - back up an entire iPhone?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:33 pm 

Is it necessary or even possible to back up the whole phone?

I've done backups to iCloud (the first one by chance, it occurred when charging before I shut off that possibility to be able to do backup to iTunes. I still haven't done an iTunes backup. But, I haven't downloaded anything yet - (I actually have to learn how to find and download apps )

Where/ how/ or nowhere? does the whole phone including the iOS get backed up?? or does it not? does it have to?

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
PowerBook 170, (System 7.5) Works
iPod classic 160GB
2 Dell netbook hacks (10.6.7)
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead
G3 iBook (Tiger) Stiction Dead HD
MacPlus (System?) Too cute but dead

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:39 pm 

Necessary - YES!!!!!

What phone happen if something happened to your iPhone and it needed replacing? If you don't have a current back up, then you would lose everything. iCloud will do a nightly back up if you switch it on - Settings ▸ iCloud ▸ Back up and switch it on.

You only get 5GB of free storage with your iCloud account but you can get an extra 45GB for 79p per month.

iCloud back ups do back up everything if there is space available. So do iTunes back up if you sync with your Mac or PC.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:40 pm 

To download apps on iPhone, open App Store, browse and tap the button to buy or download for free.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:49 pm 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:22 am 

It's not necessary to back up the OS. If you have to re-install the iPhone will re-install the OS for you. If you restore from a back up, it will know your settings from the back up and re-install them.

The system apps are part of the OS and will be put back in place if a restore is necessary, again from an iCloud or iTunes back up. You can, of course, do a new install and have the iPhone set up as it would have been from the factory i.e. without any of your data on it.

As for iCloud and iTunes back ups being different, in truth, I don't know for sure but I have restored my iPhone from both and not seen any difference between them.

I encrypt my iTunes back up so as such, it will be the same as the iCloud back up and I recommend anyone to do the same.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:22 pm 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:00 pm 

The restore process downloads the OS from Apple's servers during the install process.

As your music is already in iTunes it doesn't get backed up but if you re-install using iTunes it gets re-synced to iPhone. This is the main reason why I have always restored using iTunes despite having an iCloud back up as well.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:02 pm 

And music purchased from iTunes doesn't actually take up any space in your iCloud back up. The back update saves a record of what you have purchased and then downloads the files from the servers when restoring.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:52 pm 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:13 pm 

If you connect your phone to your computer, open iTunes, wait until iTunes "sees" your phone - a great deal of what you are asking will be (in my opinion) revealed to you:
*Backing-up your phone (to your computer - which is all that I do)
*synching your music (don't worry about what, where, folders, etc. If you music Library is standard, iTunes will find it and deal with it.)

I think/hope that many other things "should" become clear if you "go there".

If not, go .

Or, buy the book.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:52 pm 

Thanks, Ramaprem for the suggestion.

My bigger concern was the sequencing - whether to copy the music from the iMac onto the MBP before I did the first backup of the phone to the MBP..

Reading further I see (or at least I think I see) that backing up the iPhone and syncing music are 2 different operations and one doesn't influence the other.

I'll do the backup first - then when I have time I'll copy the 60± GB of music onto the MBP and then sync it onto the iPhone.

Hopefully I'll find the answer for which folder to draganddrop to get the music over to the MBP.

I did find my answer about iCloud storage and music in iTunes not purchased - so at least I'm pretty certain the free 5GB of iCloud should be sufficient.

Thanks again, and sorry to keep asking what appear to be simple questions.

(In fact, I didn't know how to delete a call from an unknown caller, so mistakenly dialed it instead and had to learn on the fly how to stop the dial before it completed. If you know these things it's easy, if you don't it's all very new to you - learning whilst flying by the seat of my pants so to speak)

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:11 pm 

Just to reiterate the advise given; use iTunes (connecting your iPhone to your preferred Mac) and just have a look at the options.

It is very easy to make a back up.

The benefits are obvious - Should you either need to re-set your iPhone back to its factory condition, or, you get a new iPhone, you can set up or restore the iPhone from the back up.

Believe you me, it saves a hell of a lot of time in fine tuning the iPhone to your desired configuration.

Also, a good idea when an iOS update comes out - Just in case you wanted to revert back to an earlier iOS for some reason.

Your warning level: [ 1 ]

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:25 pm 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead