Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:13 pm 

Hi guys...

So, as per my signature, I had an accident with my Watch on Saturday and cracked the screen diagonally. I had no choice but to put a claim in on the home insurance, and they have given me (minus the excess) the amount I need to replace the Watch. When I asked what I should do with the old one, the guy on the phone said to just 'throw it away'. I was kinda' surprised, but not.

So, I thought, once the money has cleared, I'll be replacing it with he same model from John Lewis, but taking out their accidental damage cover (£25 is a few worth paying after this episode!). So, this leaves me with a smashed watch that I can't unlock (because the crack is across the screen I can't put my passcode in to reset it). There is a very small but noticeable mark just across the corner of the body where it came into contact with the post before the screen did, but other than that it's still great condition (only 4 months old).

I'm stumped really. What would you do? £227 at Apple to replace the screen, or do I just sell it for spares? Be interested to see what others might do...

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:08 pm 

If you can find a source for a replacement display, might be worth trying to fix it yourself, the Macfixit guide doesn't look too hard...
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+W ... ionid=HEAD

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:00 am 

I had thought about that-i also watched their video on YouTube, and judging by the comments it can be quite hit and miss. Screens seems to be around the $120, which is quite expensive to take a gamble. Although I'm relatively handy with a soldering iron and fiddly electronics, I have to confess that I don't feel overly confident. If it didn't go well I then wouldn't have the money to replace/get it repaired.

I've managed to erase it via my iPhone, and looking on eBay the Series 2 seems to sell for between £140 to to £160 with a broken screen, so I'll have a think. If I could sell it for enough to get my excess back then that would be really helpful!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:15 pm 

I'm quite good at replacing iPhone/iPad screens and looking at the iFixit video on Youtube it looks like a lot of very fiddly work for something that may not work. If it were mine I wouldn't try to repair it myself so that would leave two options.

The only reason I can think of getting Apple to repair it is to keep it as a spare for when your doing stuff that might damage your new one, DIY e.t.c. If you don't want to keep it as a spare then a quick check on eBay shows you won't get much more than the Apple repair cost so, IMO, it's not worth repairing so sell it with the cracked screen and get what I can for it, £160 is not to be sniffed at.

Hope this helps,
NDW.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:31 pm 

I toyed and toyed with it, but I stick it on eBay in the end. It didn't take long to get a bite, in the end I settled for £127.50p, which minus fees meant I landed £115, so only £35 short of my excess amount which was far more easy to digest than £150.

Insurance paid out really quickly and the money was in my account this morning, but I already went to Norwich and bought one on Saturday using the credit card once I'd had the confirmation that the claim had gone through. I actually bought it from John Lewis in the end and opted to pay an extra £25 for the 2 year Accidental Damage insurance, so if the worst were to happen again I know i'm covered. And they come with a standard 2 year warranty from JL anyway, so a better deal all round. I went for the same Nike Edition again, just with the grey/volt strap instead of the grey/white strap-now matches my Nike trainers! I've got an orange Nylon strap for day to day so the lairy luminous yellow doesn't look too OTT with my shirt and tie at work!

Gutted it happened, really gutted, but am glad it's now sorted and I can start closing my activity rings properly again (although a break was nice...).

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:36 pm 

I buy most things now from John Lewis because of the 2 year warranty , Paid an extra £15 for my daughters solo 3 wireless beats with full accidental damage cover

Ipod shuffle x 2
Apple tv
Macbook Pro i7

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS