[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Van Gogh would not have had this problem. Possibly
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:10 pm 

My son's 5s is doing something odd and has been doing for the last month. When he lifts it up to make or receive a call his ear mutes the phone when it touches the screen. Don't touch the screen with your ear I hear you say. That's what I said, but easier said than done.
We've;
Cleaned the screen
Removed the protective screen cover and cleaned the screen.
Taken it out of its case
Installed the latest iOS.
Done a hard reboot.

And still the iPhone does the muting thing (after careful scientific experimentation it happens if I use his phone. Clearly a genetic link).

So we are all ears, as it were, for any further auditory suggestions.

Apple TV4
AirPods
plus several other Macs around the house

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:25 pm 

The proximity sensor sounds like it's faulty. DarrenG, the is the man to help.

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:51 pm 

Well, I see so many people using a phone without putting it to the ear - by using the speakers.

Dave,
Googling "iPhone proximity sensor" gives some possible fixes.

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:27 pm 

Well it seems to me that the proximity sensor is working because it is sensing the proximity of one's face which is what it is supposed to do. But it probably means there's something wrong with the programming, maybe a reboot would sort it. Because it's not supposed to switch the sound off, it's supposed to switch the screen off when you make a call!

Maybe reinstall the iOS might be what is needed.

Although that seems highly improbable too. And you've already rebooted. But I don't think it's a hardware fault. Of course it might be, but logically it seems unlikely.

And I also have an iPhone 5s. But I don't get this problem! Perhaps that's because I don't use it to make phone calls.

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:44 pm 

The screen is supposed to completely switch off when raised to your ear. If his ear is muting the phone then the proximity sensor is not working.

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:45 pm 

Well why would an ear mute the phone?

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:46 pm 

Because you are touching the mute button with it.

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:48 pm 

Oh. I didn't realise there was a mute button built into the screen. I thought the proximity sensor was to turn the screen off to save the battery but there is also the touch function to turn off as well of course.

Has the screen been replaced recently? It might have something to do with it.

Or Solution 5. Put iPhone in DFU mode

"What if the proximity sensor is not working on iPhone? The iPhone display remains lit when you are having a phone call and unintentionally touch the display or touch the mix feature so that your iPhone mix is mute and your friend will not be able to hear your voice. It can be so annoying. So, we want to share how to fix proximity sensor so that you can enjoy your phone comfortably without worry to touch the iPhone display."

Maybe you need some gaffer tape.

"What happens with some of the aftermarket screens, which cost a great deal less than the original Apple offering, is that they let in too much light. If you disassemble the phone, then with great care, you can put some electrical tape over the screen, just where the sensor is, and cut two small holes to let some light, but not too much, through to the sensor."

I didn't think the proximity sensor worked on the light level, I thought it was more to do with the proximity of a solid object like one's head. If it depended on light level then how come it still works properly on a sunny day on a California beach? And in the corner of a dark room? Just wonderin

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:51 pm 

Thanks all. I've tried the screen clean, taken off the screen protector and replaced it and done a hard reboot. I think I'll go for the complete reinstall now. I've also suggested my son tries not to touch his ear when he takes a call. However as it's his Dad speaking all I think he hears is 'Arrgh whagg bibble splurg.' However he's out now so I can do it before he gets back. HaHa as he would say.

Apple TV4
AirPods
plus several other Macs around the house

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS