[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Losing charge whilst charging?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:43 pm 

Hi guys,

Long story short-Apple replaced my original 6s as there was a screen/possible logic board issue 1 month before the warranty was up with a 'new' phone. I know now that if there is any issue with the phone that I stand no chance of any further free work because I've had the new phone about 7 months. It has however always been a bit hit and miss with charging-it doesn't like to be charged with a case on, no matter how slim the case is. A little wiggle will ordinarily ensure it does though.

I did notice this evening though, that the battery was starting to deplete quite quickly whilst it was plugged into the iMac. I was syncing the phone-i wasn't adding any music, but I have had a Photo's tidy up and was re-adding all the selected photo albums back on to the phone. I noticed that when the Sync started it was sitting at 16%, when it had finished it was 13%, and when I disconnected it was only at 12%. Now that the Sync has finished and I have plugged it back in it is charging again like I would expect (it's gone from 12% to 16% in about 5 minutes). I wondered though if this was normal behaviour when changing via a Mac whilst Syncing? I appreciate that the phone is carrying out a task that by all purpose is quite labour intensive, but I was quite surprised to see it doing this.

I know a 6s battery, even genuine, is relatively inexpensive in the grand scheme of things, but before I go looking into getting it replaced, would anyone consider this 'normal' behaviour? Obviously Apple's 'new' iPhone is a refurb, so I would like to think that given it's relatively short time with me the battery wouldn't have depleted that quickly.

Answers on a postcard...
Dan

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:28 pm 

Have you ever cleaned out the Lightning port? Mine gets loads of pocket fluff in it and I have to clean it out regularly.

It may be a reason why it's a bit hit and miss about charging as that is what was happening to mine.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:50 am 

Hmm, I do often see clumps of fluff stuck to the bottom of the phone when pulled from my pocket.

What way would you suggest cleaning it? I have some alcohol wipes-I don't want to wedge one in and damage anything. Or do I just get a little toothpick?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:41 am 

I use an opened out paper clip. You do have to be careful when next to the lightning connectors but it works. I have cleaned mine out numerous times without causing any damage. I have seen an Apple Genius use the SIM card tool but I find it's not quite long enough to fish out all the debris.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:00 am 

I'll have a dig about for a paperclip and see how I get on.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

A cocktail stick or tooth pick would be a safer option if you have one.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:06 pm 

Wood can splinter and a paper clip is slimmer.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

But wood won't short out your expensive device! ;-)

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:38 pm 

I actually used the plastic (unused I might add!) toothpick in my mini Swiss Army Knife! Unbelievable the amount of pocket fluff I picked out. Popped the charger in, made a nice solid connection straight away with no wiggle room.

Problem solved! Cheers for the heads up Chris!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, that's what I've used in the past!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:16 pm 

...and there was me a few weeks ago not only pricing up a battery but a new charger port too. Good save!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:35 pm 

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:42 am 

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:59 am 

Replacement iPhones only get a 90 day warranty unless there is longer left on the original 12 month one.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:50 pm 

Ok, thanks for that.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS