Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:25 am 

Jonah wrote:
iOS devices have always automatically turned on when plugged into a charger.

Yes I forgot that. Of course it does so maybe it was off but with a flat battery. I don't know what's really going on.

Jonah wrote:
Maybe you should just sell the iPhone. It’s clear that you don’t get on with it.

Unless I can change my ways of using it of course. By keeping it plugged in at all times. Defeating the point of having a mobile device. But yes you're probably right I may sell it. Thank you for your advice! :D

......................Or in New York City

.............Tina Louise & Hazel & Mavis
Can you name, name, name, name them all today

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:34 am 

The phone neither has to be plugged in at all times, nor on at all times.
Shut it down when not in use. It sounds as though you have prolonged periods, during which the phone is not used.

Selling a phone with a cracked screen? Good luck with that.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:19 am 

Leewave wrote:
Unless I can change my ways of using it of course. By keeping it plugged in at all times. Defeating the point of having a mobile device. But yes you're probably right I may sell it. Thank you for your advice! :D

Why keep it plugged in at all times? I don't understand your reasoning.

You do realise that a mobile phone isn't just for using when "out". I use mine as my main point of contact, I never give my landline to people unless I *really* have to and even then I don't want to. It's used for my business, my family, my friends to contact me. I've even trained my Mum to never ring the landline if she wants to speak to me.

Try using it more and you may actually enjoy it.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:25 am 

Different folks for different strokes:
I never give out my mobile phone number; people need to call my landline.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:44 am 

Indeed different strokes for different folks. And will not sell it at the moment (and if I did I would replace the screen first), I will continue to use it, but I was just saying in a rather flippant way that I need to keep it plugged in all the time. The reason for saying that is because it has at various times flattened the battery if left alone, even though it was actually shut down. I wonder if there's a problem with this particular phone because other people don't seem to have this. I don't know. Maybe it has a one-off problem.

I have experimented with it over the last couple of weeks, switched it off on frequent occasions and then restarted it to check the battery state. I took snapshots of the screen just to show the battery state, which was behaving normally. Until the very last time when I left it for a few days and then it was completely flat again. The battery is back up to 100% now and it's switched off again. Confirmed by the home button. I'm prepared for anything with this phone, it doesn't matter so much, but I was hoping that somebody on the forum with experience of this would be able to point me in the direction of solving the problem. If I drop the toast or a carrot on the floor, I will just brush it off and eat it, unless it lands sticky side down and is a real mess! I don't throw large quantities of Domestos down the toilet. I don't have any allergies or health problems in that regard and I think that eating a peck of dirt is necessary when you are young to get your immune system up and running.

I give out my mobile number and my home number, but generally only my throwaway email address. I am registered with the telephone preference service and the mail preference service. I don't get much junk mail or many junk telephone calls. I don't have trouble with security (touch wood, so far), I'm not so worried about stuff as much as other people seem to be. Security and paranoia are the language of today. But I resist it.

Last edited by Leewave on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:53 am 

I also wonder if your phone has a defect.

You should go through your preferences and turn off anything that is not needed - and using power.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:23 am 

DanielMoore wrote:
Ramaprem wrote:
I see this kind of post at each iOS upgrade: someone complains/questions the decreased battery life of their iDevice after such an event.

Silly me for posting the bloody question then.

<>

I came online and asked, what I felt to be, quite a reasonable question, but feel it was met with quite a sarcastic initial response. Trouble is, it's not the first time thats happened, and just reiterates to me why I don't visit the site as often as I once did.

I see the 11.0.2 update is out, maybe (hopefully) I'll see an improvement-but fear not, I shan't waste any time posting about it if it doesn't!

Don't get the hump Dan! Keep coming back! You're always welcome. Ramaprem has a sarcastic sense of humour - I have one too but I am often more successful at holding my tongue! Except sometimes when I just say what I think. :twisted: :?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:28 am 

Someone - please - tell me where and what was sarcastic in my post.

PLEASE

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:37 am 

Ramaprem wrote:
I see this kind of post at each iOS upgrade: someone complains/questions the decreased battery life of their iDevice after such an event.

The usual response, as I have seen it: "Wait." Wait until things "settle down".
And perhaps you will not see it return; perhaps the new OS is more demanding.

Well, I don't think your response was sarcastic but maybe Dan was having an off day. He suggested it was sarcastic. But it's not really - you're just stating that someone might be "complaining" about battery life, and Dan took that as an insult I think. But Dan, please don't, RP and I are both forthright speakers. That's a fact. Sorry about that.

Moving right along, here is an image that I've just taken of my iPhone setup. I have generally got Wi-Fi access on, and I want to have that because I use it at home and when I don't need it I will usually put it in "Airplane Mode". I've just realised that I can have both Airplane Mode on and retain Wi-Fi access at home. I will try it like this for a bit. At the moment the battery is at 100%, it is (in theory) switched off now.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:30 pm 

Ramaprem wrote:
Someone - please - tell me where and what was sarcastic in my post.

PLEASE

It was your initial response, Ram. Whether you perceive it as just a response or not, it was actually, in my opinion, a bit shitty. Had I have popped a post up along the lines of "iOS 11 is rubbish, it's killed my battery, what a load of rubbish blah blah blah", then I'd understand your response a little more. But I hadn't come online to do that: I felt my post was fair and reasoned.

I read articles and posts online, I understand that, especially as my device is ageing, there will be some effect on battery life. However, as it was a significant difference I wondered if there had been something obvious I had over looked (as I later mentioned r.e. Wi-Fi assist being turned on after an update without users realising).

What got my back up was the opener: "I see this kind of post at each iOS upgrade: someone complains/questions the decreased battery life of their iDevice after such an event.".

And? I had taken that into consideration, and I had waited. Thats why I posted, because there hadn't been a change. I even acknowledged that my Watch took a hit on the battery the first day, but a decent over night charge set it straight. This is a forum at the end if the day, and I was perfectly entitled to post a question of that nature-whether its something you get fed up with seeing, whether a million other users have posted similar before or not. Your response wan't helpful, and to be honest, wasn't necessary. You are a knowledgeable forum member, and can have quite a dry sense of humour at times; but then sometimes, your responses are blunt and can come across rude. I wasn't having a bad day at all, I just read it and i'll be honest, it pissed me off. I wanted to know if I was the only one. I wanted to know if anybody else had had similar issues. I wanted to know if it was something quite widespread. Most of the responses after that were quite relevant, and thats what I was after.

I'm not out to pick a fight, nor make things uncomfortable. My job at school is to work with 'behaviourally challenged' students, so I have a thick skin. I'm not over-sensitive, I have a good degree of empathy and understanding and consider most things before I post or make assumptions. Unfortunately, it's not the first time a response has been made on the forum where I have literally thought, 'FFS, it was only a question'. Nor am I the only person it happens to. Christ, I've even been pulled up on my grammar before, and it wasn't even a joke-it was serious! The odd typo happens, a post when you're tired or in a rush is susceptible to the odd mistake.

Unfortunately, once you notice it, you can't help noticing it more often, which is why I take a back seat and don't visit as often as I once did. I'm not a massive contributor, I don't have a wealth of knowledge, but I did enjoy coming here as I've been an Apple user since 1999-but the way some people are spoken to sometimes (I'm not implying that this is you), and especially with newer members, makes me cringe and I just get fed up with it.

So it wasn't the worst response in the world, but it didn't read that well, and to be honest, I wasn't surprised to see it. I hope thats thrown some light on it for you.

To get back on topic, I ended up doing a factory restore on the Phone and I have noticed some improvement. I also noticed a good 3-4gb storage get free'd up. However, after a 4 minute FaceTime at work the other day, my battery (which was about 50% at approx. 4pm) prompted me to turn on Low Power Mode at 20%. Within 10 minutes of activating that, I was already at 11% with the phone doing nothing. The phone is approaching 2 years old (I think i've had it about 20 months), and it was a replacement from Apple. We all know that the replacement phones are refurbished, and if the battery wasn't the reason for that refurb, it may well be that the battery in mine is approaching 3 years old, which is why it's struggling.

I'll keep an eye on it for now and see how it goes, although I should imagine that I won't see any significant improvement from here on in.

 Apple TV 4, 32GB
 Apple TV 3
 Watch Nike Edition, 42MM
Raspberry Pi 3b/Retropie 4.1

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:42 pm 

For all in this last post of yours - as it pertains to my initial post - I couldn't agree with you less.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

Ramaprem wrote:
For all in this last post of yours - as it pertains to my initial post - I couldn't agree with you less.

Bloody hell Ram, can you not just be civil and apologise when in the wrong or is that totally against your outlook?

15" MacBook Pro Quad Core i7 16GB RAM SSD/HDD Combo
Mac mini (Plex Server) ~ iPhone X ~ Livescribe 3
Apple TV 4 (64GB)

About.me/jcturner

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:59 pm 

"Bloody hell Ram, can you not just be civil and apologise when in the wrong "
No. I'm not in the wrong. And there is nothing for which to apologize.

My post was a statement of fact, which included possible solutions and explanations - backed up by posts by Tony and Chris.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

Ramaprem wrote:
"Bloody hell Ram, can you not just be civil and apologise when in the wrong "
No. I'm not in the wrong. And there is nothing for which to apologize.

My post was a statement of fact, which included possible solutions and explanations - backed up by posts by Tony and Chris.

You just don’t see it do you?

Heed my warning. One of many.

15" MacBook Pro Quad Core i7 16GB RAM SSD/HDD Combo
Mac mini (Plex Server) ~ iPhone X ~ Livescribe 3
Apple TV 4 (64GB)

About.me/jcturner

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:11 pm 

Dan. I had to carry out a full restore from a backup to get my SE back to where it was. A hard reset only kept it going from 0600 to 1800 before needing a recharge. Today, after the restore, it’s still on 30% with a reasonable amount of browsing, checking and sending emails, a few lengthy phone calls, texts and so on.

Apple TV4
Apple Extreme
plus several other Macs around the house

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS