[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - iOS and battery life...
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: iOS and battery life...
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:55 am 

Hi guys,

Whilst in an earlier post regarding Watch OS I cited that the battery on my Watch was depleting a lot quicker than with the previous OS, after a healthy overnight charge it seemed to do 'something'. Whatever it was, battery life on the Watch has been pretty much on a par witht eh previous OS, so I'm happy with that.

The only issue I have now is my 6s and iOS 11(.0.1). I don't use my phone an awful lot during the day as I'm at work, it's mainly a brief flick through stuff in the morning and some casual browsing (never games) in the evening. However, I am noticing that where my phone would prompt me to turn on Low Power Mode in the late evening (say, after about 10pm), I'm now struggling to get it to 7pm before getting the same message, requiring a quick 30 minute charge to see me through to bed time. This is quite frustrating, as it usually happens when my other half is watching Corrie so the phone is a welcome distraction (and an ideal buying time because she is also distracted :lol:).

Has anybody else experienced any similar battery issues since the upgrade? Is there anything not-so-obvious that's been turned on in iOS11 that I may have over looked?

Any pointers appreciated!
Dan

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:02 am 

I see this kind of post at each iOS upgrade: someone complains/questions the decreased battery life of their iDevice after such an event.

The usual response, as I have seen it: "Wait." Wait until things "settle down".
And perhaps you will not see it return; perhaps the new OS is more demanding.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:38 am 

Happened to me with 10(got back to normal after the 10.1 update) and now happening with 11.

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:40 am 

iOS11 battery management is shit.

iOS11.0.1 battery management is just a little bit less shit.

The only option is to turn everything off but what's the point of having an iPhone if you do that?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:58 pm 

How on earth has the mobile phone industry reached this ridiculous point where battery life is so low? I recall around 2000, mobile phones (obviously non-smart) had a battery life approaching a week - on standby all the time, between charges.

I guess consumers are to blame, for they are happy to keep buying phones with ever shorter battery lives, for the smart facilities it provides.

The arrival of these separate additional battery packs (now sold in Poundland for heaven's sake) shows the failure of the industry in this respect IMHO.

/rant off

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:02 pm 

Old phones just made calls and text messages with the odd game of Snake.

Smart phones are fully fledged computers in your pocket with a constant connection to the internet. Battery life suffers because of this.

It's like comparing a Model T Ford to a Bugatti Veyron. They both do the same thing essentially but the Veyron does it a hell of a lot better than the Model T.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:12 pm 

I heard that the Model T had much better battery life, though.
(Did it have a battery?)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:16 pm 

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:17 pm 

The trend towards making things smaller and lighter has been to the detriment of battery life imo.

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:38 pm 

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:26 am 

Dan

Try a hard reset. I did and it did help with battery life under 11.0. It stopped the very rapid battery loss from 25% down. It was losing the last 25% in about half an hour whether I was using it or not.

It's still not as good as it was under 10 but it wasn't particularly brilliant anyway as I always had to top up at some point in the day but I do use my iPhone a lot.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:19 pm 

Updated to 11.0.2 and it whacked my phone. Full charge overnight and down to 5% by 2pm. I did a hard reset and will see how it goes. Battery life had been fine until,then.

Apple TV4
AirPods
plus several other Macs around the house

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:44 pm 

About a week ago I changed my 5s for an SE (at last), now running 11.01. I find that despite heavy use throughout the day, the battery is showing between 40 – 60% come 10 pm. Am definitely not complaining.

Will install 11.02 tonight + update my Watch.

Lorimer

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:12 pm 

I'm complaining. My bloody iPhone's done it again. Needed power to start up today, and when it finally did I find that it hadn't actually shutdown, it was on all the time! It just needed the passcode to get into it - I didn't start it, I just plugged it in. It was supposed to be OFF. I'm tired of this. Over the last couple of weeks I've gone through several shutdowns and restarts to find that the battery was fine, it seemed to actually shut down. This time it seems that it was on all the time and not switched off. No I'm not going to use it every day and use it "like it should be used", so that I can pick up all the garbage messages that the world wants to send to me, (there are not many useful ones anyway) - although it's got a nice camera and it does many useful things apart from that - if you can't trust it then where is this relationship going? So maybe I shouldn't own one of these devices. I hate them. It's the lack of control that I don't like. The feeling of not having any. The sense of having no idea what it's doing next. And the screen is cracked because I dropped it by mistake, it happened to be aiming at some tarmac so I held my foot out to deflect it and that broke its fall. But nevertheless it still cracked the screen, A glancing blow - not too hard, the metal is barely dented - but the screen is cracked. Not too badly that I can't use it. I have taped over the screen and I've been using it like this for the last year and a half I think. One day I will get around to replacing the screen, if I don't do something else with it first.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:33 pm 

iOS devices have always automatically turned on when plugged into a charger.

Maybe you should just sell the iPhone. It’s clear that you don’t get on with it.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS