[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - iOS and battery life...
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:08 pm 

Dave: mine would never be at that percentage after that much action, which leads me to think (given the SE is essentially a 6s in a smaller form) that mine is probably a combo of the drain from a new OS and the age of my battery. I can live with it for now, just need to buy a longer lightning cable so I can plug in and use in the evening!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:23 pm 

My SE is only a couple of weeks old admittedly, but I took it off its overnight charge at 8:00 am this morning, have used used it loads throughout the day, and now (9:20 pm), the battery is down to 66%.

I'm very comfortable with that performance.

Lorimer

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:12 pm 

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:15 am 

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:34 am 

I'm outta here. It's been real.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:34 pm 

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:30 pm 

I feel that I should support Ramaprem because I don't think that he was really attacking you, Jeffus or Dan, but perhaps he got a bit irritated and spoke his mind just too many times. I'm afraid I'm guilty of saying more than I should sometimes, but try to censor myself. I have a soft spot for RP, I think he should come back but I know he probably won't. I don't think he was deliberately attacking you, it's just his manner which can be a bit abrasive occasionally. I always found him good value for money! He was a great contributor to this forum, he had a lot of useful insights and very interesting and intelligent things to say and I wish he was still here.

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:44 am 

It's certainly been quieter here without him.

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:51 am 

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:54 am 

Which flying career, the one that disastrously collapsed in December 2009 due to fainting while in the simulator, while I felt under a great deal of mental pressure while doing zero visibility approaches 50 feet above the ground involving super high concentration watching for instrument or equipment failures and having to make critical decisions, and worrying at the same time (foolishly) about the next thing that we were briefed to do which was to cope with a simulated double engine flameout over the Bay of Biscay in MNPS airspace in the simulator from 40,000 feet - that was buzzing in my brain when I was in a critical situation, trying to decide whether to go around or land in fog in the sim - and I was also very preoccupied and worried about personal circumstances at home with my marriage and the current imminent collapse of the current employment due to the usual financial mismanagement of airlines in general - I realised I was feeling lightheaded and I knew immediately that I MUST NOT faint, because if I knew that if I fainted, I would lose my job and my career - my airline career which was vital to me, so I must not faint!! So of course I did. I could not stop myself. They called an ambulance and I said I don't want to go to the hospital - please let's not do that, my instructor said well, I have to report this to the CAA and I understood that, of course he did have to do that, it is a reportable incident. And that was the end of my flying career. Bang. Oh well. No more flying the , end of career at the age of 58. All due to personal stress in a very stressful situation?

No I remember, the other one, I was going to call on a guy who was running his own business in glider repairs and sales, and he is now an importer and sole UK distributor of a particular South African superglider, the JS1.

Well I called round to see him on my way home from my European journey, I stopped in at his home in Herefordshire and he was quite enthusiastic about me joining him and his partner in his expanding business, we seemed to get on well, I think the portents looked good. I went home and he asked me to come down on a particular day to help get stuck in, I did. I arrived at a very busy time for him, he and his partner were moving his entire workshop to a new purpose-built large steel structure newbuild near Ludlow, and so it was a very hectic day, I drove half the night to get there from northern Cumbria to Herefordshire to arrive about 10 in the morning, I worked very hard all day with him and his partner learning the ropes in sanding down sailplane wings in preparation for recoating and also they were packing up all the multi-years worth of workshop stuff to move it all, and clearing out the old workshop, exhausting.

One short night later after sleeping in a cold building near the new site, and an early start at about 7:30 AM, in the new workshop he became increasingly irritated, I was trying to do my best for him but I think we did not gel. I think I had told him too many wild stories of my flying adventures and near misses the previous day and perhaps he wasn't impressed. Whatever the reason, his attitude seemed to change and I know he was under great pressure at the time because there had just been a fatality at low altitude during the early stages of an airtow in one of the JS1 gliders in South Africa which was unexplained, but it appears to be that the pilot became incapacitated, I think he had a heart attack or something, so it was not a problem with the actual glider. This event could obviously affect his business that he was in the process of building up so I imagine he was under great pressure himself.

In the afternoon he said David, it's just not going to work out between us. That hit me as a bit of an unexpected bombshell since he had hardly given me a chance to get started, after a very long day he told me this and said do you want to stay for something to eat? I declined, I was fed up and very tired, and I drove all the way back to Cumbria - another multi hour drive. Exhausted. But No Deal! So no, I didn't do that in the end!

I sat on my hands and worried for a bit about the disintegration of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and then my wife left, and now I have become a research interviewer for two different market research companies. The job is quite interesting even if not exactly what I used to do. I get jobs for two of these companies and the pay is on work done on a sliding scale and they pay expenses and mileage. I visit lots of random people and I talk to so many people with different points of view and attitudes to life - that makes it so interesting and often a lot of fun. Even if there are many tedious aspects to the job. We can have good conversations, sometimes other people are very dismissive and very repulsive! What do you want? No I don't do surveys, it's got nothing to do with me I don't see why I have to do it! You have no right to knock on my door I'll call the police! If I want someone in my house I'll invite them! But often there are fascinating people who you can have a very interesting conversation with. I get to see all types of people in all walks of life from the rich to the poor, from the thick non-achievers to the supersmart, the angry to the happy, the highly successful to the people on long-term state benefits living in social housing, it depends on who opens the door! I do the National Crime Survey for England and Wales, CSEW, for the Office for National Statistics, which is the best one. I typically get over 80% response rate for this. Occasionally somebody shakes my hand afterwards, that's nice.

I'm currently also working a lot on another one for the Broadcasters Audience Research Board, BARB, about television use. - And ...uuuuh

There are others including Understanding Society for the University of Essex about following individual families on a "longitudinal survey" over several years about career prospects, births, marriages, deaths, but the crime survey is the best because it is a valuable prestigious survey which has been ongoing since the 1980s - about 50,000 households are interviewed every year for this in England and Wales and they are sent a letter in advance together with a booklet of six first class stamps! That means that they're engaged and want to do it - generally speaking.

Sorry, I digress!

I think it's a shame that Ramaprem left but there ya go.

Last edited by Leewave on Sat May 05, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:51 am 

Dave reply is on couch now re "flying message".

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:33 pm 

:o

I thought my life was complicated with MS!

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:06 pm 

:lol:

There were aspects of Ram that were fine, his knowledge was impressive; and there were other responses that were worse than the one that caused this initially, but it just got to a point where I was fed up of having to stress about what I was posting or being made to feel stupid. It was the bigger picture, and I'd had enough.

To remove himself from the forum completely was a silly move though. All he needed to do was take a step back or think about how his responses could have been perceived and he'd have been fine. But I know I wasn't the only one who got fed up with it.

I've since found it really difficult coming back to the forum-I thought after Rams departure it might encourage me to come back more often, but it hasn't. It left a bit of a bitter taste and where I'd once pop online to read, if not post, quite often, I no longer do. I'm an active, albeit boring, Twitter user and tweet with a few members on there but thats about it. Sounds silly when I say it like that, but that is the reality-he changed the forum for me in a way that has made it much less enjoyable than it once was.

It's a shame that it came to that. He could have learnt from you Leewave-when you do have point to make, you're far more diplomatic with it and it doesn't feel personal. He took himself off and he didn't need to, but it was his own doing. I actually feel more sympathy for you because I know you were good friends.

Thats quite a turbulent few years you've had there, however your logical-forward-thinking approach seems to have served you well. It's good to hear when someone is pulling through after a difficult time. I've been involved in a lot of mental health in my life, and it's always really touching to see somebody who has been dealt a difficult hand for whatever reason turn things around and focus on the positives, no matter what their experience-so kudos to you-it's not always easy.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS