Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:04 pm 

I'm new to the notion of backing up my iOS devices to iCloud (now v11.x). Until I set it going on my iPhone, I had no idea how much space it would take. Not many megabytes is the answer, so I'm happy to go iCloud instead of iTunes.

It has been going on the iPhone for a short while so I thought I'd now do it on the iPad. This morning, I went to Settings > General > myname > iCloud > iCloud backup to flip the switch. It was off and greyed out so I couldn't get it on. I have been through other settings and restrictions but see nothing else obvious. I compared settings on the iPhone and iPad. I did searches and have been through the suggestions (except resetting network, which I don't want to do). The only action to do anything was sign out of iCloud, restart and sign in again. This changed the backup switch from greyed out off to greyed out on but no "backup now" option. More searches and nothing new turned up. The iPad, through Manage Storage > Backups, can see the iPhone backup and tells me how big the iPad backup will be but that the iPad is 0KB and Never backed up.

I have tried just leaving it alone, on wifi and locked, just to see if anything happens. It doesn't, as I thought, but you have to try these things to eliminate them.

Does anyone have any experience kicking iOS iCloud backup into life? Worth asking before I bother Apple.

Thanks for reading.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:54 pm 

Nothing backed up for a while after the above post. I didn't get round to contacting Apple Support. This evening, I thought I'd look into Settings again. In Settings > myname > iCloud > iCloud Backup - the backup switch is still on but greyed out and there is still no Backup Now option. I went into Manage Storage > Backups and now this iPad claims to have backed up yesterday (96.9MB, so something has happened).

One of the mysteries of life, I suppose. Still not as it should be, but supposedly working. I'll just have to watch it.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:21 am 

The iOS 11.1 update seems to have put all options back where they should be so end of this thread.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS