[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Why won't iOS connect to unsecured networks?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:40 pm 

When I'm out and about with my iPad, some places have wifi hotspots that are open (don't need a password). The wifi icon shows 3 bars and all seems fine, but if I try to connect using Safari or Mail, I just get the loading symbol and nothing actually happens.

However, if I login to a hotspot using their password, all is well. What is it with unsecured networks - is there a setting I've missed?

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:57 pm 

iPhone Can’t Connect to Unsecured Network? How-To Fix.

https://appletoolbox.com/2017/11/iphone ... twork-fix/

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:25 am 

I just skimmed through all of that - FFFS!!

"it just works!"

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:45 am 

I had to look up FFFS, still not sure what you mean,

I take it that it didn't help or was a problem!
?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:20 am 

Why would you want to use some random unsecured WiFi?

Just use your mobile data. It’s safer.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:18 am 

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:15 pm 

For Flipping FS!

BD, it was just an expression of exasperation, try FFS instead. ;) I could've said FFFFFS!

Your link was extremely useful, but with so many options and things to try, it seems Apple haven't thought this one through very well. It seems that security is not Apple's strongest point (and Search is extremely low in their ability ranking too) but I can understand that it's a very complex thing to get right. With so many new exploits appearing all the time it must be a hard job to keep up with it all, I am sure.

I think they're doing an excellent job in general, but they seem to drop the ball too often these days. Things used to be better with Apple when the world was less complex. And I'm not sure about many of their design decisions now either.

But they are trying. Very trying sometimes. :)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:16 pm 

:)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:45 pm 

Probably a little off topic, but nonetheless related, speaking of wifi hotspots while out and about, has anyone used the VM wifi app? It seems I am opted in as a customer at home (although their hub is in modem only mode so won't do wifi for them) and I could therefore download and use it. I'm wondering if it is any use or a load of pony, as the rating suggests.

I'd not knowingly connect to an unsecured hotspot. That is too risky in my mind.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:24 pm 

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:26 pm 

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:50 pm 

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:36 pm 

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:48 am 

No personal hotspot on a mobile to tether to?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:42 pm 

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS