Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:25 pm
Posts: 1578
When I'm out and about with my iPad, some places have wifi hotspots that are open (don't need a password). The wifi icon shows 3 bars and all seems fine, but if I try to connect using Safari or Mail, I just get the loading symbol and nothing actually happens.

However, if I login to a hotspot using their password, all is well. What is it with unsecured networks - is there a setting I've missed?

_________________
"If it ain't broke, we can fix it" (© Tim Cook, Jonny Ive)

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:23 pm
Posts: 814
iPhone Can’t Connect to Unsecured Network? How-To Fix.

https://appletoolbox.com/2017/11/iphone ... twork-fix/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:27 pm
Posts: 5230
Location: Cumberland
I just skimmed through all of that - FFFS!!

"it just works!"

iOS 11 can't connected to unsecured network??

How to Fix iOS 11 Can’t Join Unsecured Wi-Fi Network


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:23 pm
Posts: 814
I had to look up FFFS, still not sure what you mean,

I take it that it didn't help or was a problem!
?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:20 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:51 pm
Posts: 6852
Why would you want to use some random unsecured WiFi?

Just use your mobile data. It’s safer.

_________________
I'm never wrong, I'm just less right on occasions.

Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:07 pm
Posts: 1140
Location: In a turkey shed.
BDAqua wrote:
I had to look up FFFS, still not sure what you mean,

..

Too many F's me thinks.

_________________
G4 Powermac Quicksilver Dual 800MHz OSX 10.5.8
iMac 27" i7 2.93 GHz quad core OSX 10.12.6
13" Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
17" Macbookpro OS X 10.13.2
iPhone 5S iOS11
Original iPad wifi


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:27 pm
Posts: 5230
Location: Cumberland
For Flipping FS!

BD, it was just an expression of exasperation, try FFS instead. ;) I could've said FFFFFS!

Your link was extremely useful, but with so many options and things to try, it seems Apple haven't thought this one through very well. It seems that security is not Apple's strongest point (and Search is extremely low in their ability ranking too) but I can understand that it's a very complex thing to get right. With so many new exploits appearing all the time it must be a hard job to keep up with it all, I am sure.

I think they're doing an excellent job in general, but they seem to drop the ball too often these days. Things used to be better with Apple when the world was less complex. And I'm not sure about many of their design decisions now either.

But they are trying. Very trying sometimes. :)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:23 pm
Posts: 814
:)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:22 pm
Posts: 1592
Location: S.W. Wales
Probably a little off topic, but nonetheless related, speaking of wifi hotspots while out and about, has anyone used the VM wifi app? It seems I am opted in as a customer at home (although their hub is in modem only mode so won't do wifi for them) and I could therefore download and use it. I'm wondering if it is any use or a load of pony, as the rating suggests.

I'd not knowingly connect to an unsecured hotspot. That is too risky in my mind.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:25 pm
Posts: 1578
Jonah wrote:
Why would you want to use some random unsecured WiFi?

Just use your mobile data. It’s safer.

Eh? What mobile data? That depends on my having a connection to a wifi network!!!!! Yes, I could have opted to pay for an iPad + 3G (or is it 4G now?) but I wasn't prepared to pay "all that" just to get on Safari every now and then.

_________________
"If it ain't broke, we can fix it" (© Tim Cook, Jonny Ive)

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:25 pm
Posts: 1578
Leewave wrote:

I know. My thoughts exactly.

BDAqua wrote:
iPhone Can’t Connect to Unsecured Network? How-To Fix.

https://appletoolbox.com/2017/11/iphone ... twork-fix/

Thanks BD - at least I know I'm not alone... (unless I really am, and you're all figments of my solipsistic imagination? :o )

_________________
"If it ain't broke, we can fix it" (© Tim Cook, Jonny Ive)

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:50 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:51 pm
Posts: 6852
MacBiter wrote:
Jonah wrote:
Why would you want to use some random unsecured WiFi?

Just use your mobile data. It’s safer.

Eh? What mobile data? That depends on my having a connection to a wifi network!!!!! Yes, I could have opted to pay for an iPad + 3G (or is it 4G now?) but I wasn't prepared to pay "all that" just to get on Safari every now and then.


Sorry, missed iPad and assumed iPhone.

You could always get a mobile broadband wifi device like this.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/phones-broadband-and-sat-nav/broadband/mobile-broadband/three-e5573bs-322-pay-monthly-4g-mobile-wifi-10168105-pdt.html

I have one for use with my MacBook Pro and iPad, works really well. Obviously it costs something each month but at least you would know that you have a connection.

_________________
I'm never wrong, I'm just less right on occasions.

Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:25 pm
Posts: 1578
Jonah wrote:
MacBiter wrote:
Jonah wrote:
Why would you want to use some random unsecured WiFi?

Just use your mobile data. It’s safer.

Eh? What mobile data? That depends on my having a connection to a wifi network!!!!! Yes, I could have opted to pay for an iPad + 3G (or is it 4G now?) but I wasn't prepared to pay "all that" just to get on Safari every now and then.


Sorry, missed iPad and assumed iPhone.

You could always get a mobile broadband wifi device like this.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/phones-broadband-and-sat-nav/broadband/mobile-broadband/three-e5573bs-322-pay-monthly-4g-mobile-wifi-10168105-pdt.html

I have one for use with my MacBook Pro and iPad, works really well. Obviously it costs something each month but at least you would know that you have a connection.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm nearly housebound now. To get something just for when I'm waiting for my meal to be served in a restaurant (once a week, tops) would be somewhat excessive.

_________________
"If it ain't broke, we can fix it" (© Tim Cook, Jonny Ive)

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:22 pm
Posts: 1592
Location: S.W. Wales
No personal hotspot on a mobile to tether to?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:25 pm
Posts: 1578
loughor wrote:
No personal hotspot on a mobile to tether to?

I don't own a smartphone. It would be very nearly redundant.

_________________
"If it ain't broke, we can fix it" (© Tim Cook, Jonny Ive)

Core i5 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.5 GHz 12GB RAM OS X 10.9.5


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

 

HTML tutorial