[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Why is Alexa so so much better than Siri.
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:49 pm 

Yes. They tried to change their image with the tag "Life's Good" but nahhhh.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:09 pm 

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:41 pm 

An old-ish thread. Siri hasn't really gone anywhere. Today I took delivery of an Echo Show, despite my misgivings about Amazon and privacy. So far I have it set to do my radio stations, lights, heating, Skype video and Apple Music. Multiple timers too. It may be a whim and fall out of use but one of my kids has already dibbed it should that occur. I changed the keyword to "Computer" to avoid most duff activations (as mentioned above), so less Star Trek for me ;) The sound quality is surprisingly good.

It was only after it was set up that I realised Black Friday is on the horizon and I can imagine it being cheaper. That's what not paying attention does for you :lol:

I need to investigate skills in the coming days.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:35 pm 

Two days ago I returned the Echo for a full refund. Because it has the screen, it can now and again display stuff more than the date and time depending what you choose. I chose nothing. I didn't want cycling screens. Unfortunately, in a recent update, Amazon had it show an Alexa for your day "promotion". Basically pushing people to set up all sorts of stuff aka access to data. I did a lot of searching and found many people incensed by this appearing on their units. I asked Amazon how to turn it off and they told me, except it didn't. Because I should be in full control, it was not fit for purpose. Gone. Shame as I had plans for a video doorbell, but that's out for now.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:16 am 

I don't have any other listening gadgets so only use Siri but it is frustratingly hit and miss. I use my Ear Pods a lot when out walking my dog, and Siri is useful for stopping and starting a programme and adjusting the volume. But it won't find another programme (I usually listen to Radio 4). It will tell me sunset times up to two weeks ahead but can't (won't?) do so beyond that – "I can't tell the weather that far in the future". Siri starts and stops Timers & Stopwatches, but (as has been discussed before) is of no use at all in stopping an alarm once the time has been reached.

So like the original Apple Maps, is very much a work in progress.

Lorimer

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:52 am 

The Alexa department is on course to lose $10bn this year apparently. Amazon staff numbers are being reduced by possibly 10,000 with Alexa being hit hard so it's seems like it's falling out of favour with the Amazon hierarchy. Don't be surprised if it gets no new features or gets canned.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:01 pm 

Did anyone see Hannah Fry's documentary series on the full stories behind modern tech? This week she did digital assistants and understandly did most of the feature on Alexa. It seems Alexa was the first* (Bezos' brainchild) and has a real team of geniuses behind it. Apple obviously wasn't able to poach them.

*or rather, the Polish app it was developed from was

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:55 pm 

Yes, I saw that. It is a good series.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:30 pm 

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS