[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Setting up iPhone as new
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: Setting up iPhone as new
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:28 am 

I'm in the process of helping a friend, and need your help.
She has received a phone from our city's lost-and-found (because it has been there a certain length of time unclaimed), and has asked me to get it to that place where I can set it up as a new phone. Of course, the phone is locked.

I have tried various methods that I get from the Internet, but nothing works. Perhaps there is something wrong with the phone, because it is not possible to shut it down. Holding down the sleep-wake button does not get to that place where you can swipe and shut down the phone. But I do not know if this is part of the problem or not. Videos show the need to shut down the phone before continuing with the process.
It is an iPhone 5, and I have fully charged it.

Does anyone have a method of wiping this phone, and getting to the process of setting it up as a new phone?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:40 pm 

I have no idea why it won't turn off but it would if the battery was flat. As to re-setting it - that might be complicated if the previous owner had taken precautions and had it barred by IMEI, or instigated "lost mode". Maybe Apple could do it if you had proof of ownership transfer. Or a dodgy shop which has unlocking software.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:06 pm 

The battery was, indeed, flat, but could be recharged.
I have given the phone back to my friend; I don't see a way to accomplish what she wishes. It may be impossible without a true hack, as you suggest. So I've washed my hands of this.

Thanks for your reply.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:28 am 

I found an iPod yonks ago and handed it to the Sussex Police, they were quite clear about not accessing/taking ownership of it:

But we don't know what the Law is where you reside and the device is either broken or locked.

Good old Apple security ..eh? ;)

Your warning level: [ 1 ]

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS