[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Update question
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: Update question
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:22 pm 

This question is mostly theoretical, but I am curious to know the answer.

A new iOS software update is now available for my iPhone. But in the next two or three days, I will be erasing that phone and giving it to someone whom I love.
In the process of erasing and preparing it for its new owner, does the iOS version stay with the phone? Or does the iOS version default back to its original incarnation? And therefore make it a waste of time to update the software now?

Post subject: Re: Update question
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:01 pm 

iOS updates it self to the newest version possible, as far as I have experienced.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:12 pm 

I'm grateful for your reply, but it doesn't answer my question.

Put another way:
if I update the OS now, will that update stay on the phone for the new owner; that is, after I have "erased the phone" for the new owner?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:14 pm 

It will stay yes.

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:21 pm 

That's my vote, too. So I will update now, and learn later. I believe that only personal data is erased, but that includes apps.
Nothing, really, to lose. It's just curiosity.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:31 pm 

There is a simple process to make sure you clear all your stuff.

The new owner just follows the set up wizard and either gets a 'fresh' iPhone or recovers their backup of data/apps.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:09 pm 

When you erase an iPhone to sell, it only deletes all YOUR data from the phone. It doesn't delete the OS.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS