Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: clock.app widget issue
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:35 pm 

I have a few hours spare time, and I would like to share with you an issue that I have with my iPhone 11. I don't really expect anyone to suggest a solution, but who knows where this path might lead?

On my main home screen, I have both the clock app and the clock app widget. The widget is a large analog clock. I enjoy its (large) presence on the screen.
They both show the time exact to the second, unless my phone's screen has been locked. After unlocking the screen, the clock app always shows the current time, but the widget shows the time when my screen was locked. In other words, after unlocking my screen, the widget does not show the correct/current time; it shows the time when my screen was last unlocked.

The only way that I can get the widget to display the current time – and therefore be in sync with the clock app icon – is to slide two home screens over. If I slide to the next home screen, and back again, nothing changes. I can repeat that process, and nothing happens. But if I slide two home screens, when I return to the main home screen, the widget has corrected itself and displays the correct time.

So there it is.
Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I would like some company. I hate being alone with this, especially during this pandemic.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:46 pm 

No idea on that but I have noticed that if I edit my Calendar on iMac, the iPad Calendar widget doesn't catch up unless I open Calendar in the 'pad. It is like the widgets don't update themselves in the background. Not even scrolling between Home screens makes it sync (I tried as you did). Same on my 11 but I have the Calendar widget in left screen (where the wild widgets live).

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:03 pm 

"It is like the widgets don't update themselves in the background."
Yes, that seems to be the case.
The clock app always shows the current time, as does the digital readout shown at the top of the screen. It is only the widget that doesn't update.

I have the Google transportation widget where the wild widgets live, which shows me the time the next bus will be leaving my bus stop. It is true that it does not update itself in the background, but it updates immediately upon my scrolling to the left screen. I can see it updating itself.

Thanks for the company.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:30 pm 

TBH I don't use the clock widget, but I did put the clock app in the Dock where I can always see the time better than squinting at the tiny time display top left.

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:57 am 

I use the Activity widget and also one for Pedometer++. Neither update quickly. I think it's a limitation of widgets having to 'talk' to the parent app.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:56 am 

@ loughor and Jonah,
Thanks for the feedback.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS