[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - I fancy a new iPhone, secondhand refurbished
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:38 pm 

If I were to replace it, giffgaff have a winter clearance scale sale on iPhones. I've got a 5s 16GB with a cracked screen and it's fine but I could buy an iPhone 6 or 6s or 6+ (or SE?)

Are they a big improvement on the 5s? Then of course I could go and splash a bit more and get a 7 or 7+

Or higher of course but I think a 6s would be fine probably - I wouldn't need anything super fancy and I don't want to spend an awful lot of money on it.

I think I would need more than 16 GB, maybe 32 would be okay or do I need 64? I don't take a lot of movies or pictures.

Any of these appeal to anybody? :?:
Value for money recommendations? :?:

I don't think I need a super whizzy latest model.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:08 am 

I think I'll get the 64GB iPhone 6s+ in rose gold

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:54 pm 

I would get the 7.
And you do not need 64GB; 32 is enough for your stated use and habits. (I expect many to disagree, but I owned a 7+/32, and found no need for more.)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:40 pm 

Thanks Gail. Actually I've just ordered the one I mentioned above, the 6s plus in rose gold with 64GB - (which was the same price as the 32GB - curiously enough!) £129

It will be a bit of a step up from my 5s which as mentioned has a cracked screen, but still soldiers on quite well with Sellotape on top.

But as it is also bigger and with rounded edges, I will definitely need a new protective case for it.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:57 pm 

I'd also recommend the 7, which was a step up in iPhones. However, the 6s is the minimum requirement for Group Facetime, so that's a good thing.

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:07 pm 

I ordered the 6s plus on Saturday and it was delivered today Monday the 11th, I tried to stop them sending it because I wanted to change it for the iPhone 7. But I only got a reply after it had arrived! It had already been put in the system I guess. However Giffgaff also have a free return service if you change your mind within the first 21 days so I have now packaged it up for return to them tomorrow.

And after your advice, instead I have ordered the iPhone 7 32GB in rose gold, and that has been paid for this evening and it should arrive tomorrow. I expect the refund for the other one by the end of this month.

I didn't even open the packet to look at the 6s+ ..

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:24 pm 

It arrived last week as planned. It's very nice indeed. Pristine, it appears to me! I haven't started using it yet but at least the battery is now charged up. The 6s+ was returned and now refunded. I compliment Giffgaff on their excellent delivery and the quality of the phone.

I'm still using my iPhone 5s with cracked glass for work and I'll keep it that way for now I think. This new one will be for everything else once I get a decent case for it - but finding the right one is a bit of a gamble too ..

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:08 pm 

Good luck trying to use two phones.
If you have a new phone, with an uncracked glass, I doubt that you will enjoy continuing to use the old phone. Isn't that why you bought a new one?

I use a humixx case for my current phone.
It makes the phone thicker, which is useful since the phone is so thin that I have difficulty picking it up from a desk/table-top. It also removes the metal feel of the phone itself, which I also appreciate.

There are about 2 million cases available from Amazon. Which is both good and bad news.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:56 am 

Whatever you do, don't buy a phone with face recognition rather than finger detection (& I know you have now made your purchase(s).
Since life outside the home requires the use of a facemask, I ALWAYS now have to type in my password – B****y annoying. Also, face recognition doesn't work if one's phone is on the desk or table since it can't see you. My iPhone XR is perfect otherwise.

Lorimer

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:49 pm 

Thanks for the comments, both. I may continue to use the iPhone 5s for a while - the cracked glass is not really any trouble because I have Sellotape on the front which has held for two or three years already and seems to be fine practically speaking. No glass shards. Still fully intact and strong. But yes I don't really want two phones although I do have two sims and I'm using them both for different purposes - but may rationalise to one phone later.

Also I don't want my new phone to be subject to rough use and I will be mollycoddling it for a bit, and the old iPhone 5 in its protective case seems pretty robust as it is. Yes - but I bought this phone for a reason didn't I? Yes, because it was there and I wanted to catch the winter sale and it looks very nice indeed. I will eventually get onto it full time I think.

I will need to buy a case for it though (the 7 I mean). It's very vulnerable as it is all naked and also a target for theft. The 5 is not really worth much but works quite well still.

Regarding Face recognition, I don't think the iPhone 7 does that and I am not that advanced. I'm quite happy with a basic model at the moment.

Thanks for all comments and hints and tips. Most useful.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS