[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Photo format
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: Photo format
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:09 am 

I just took a photo with my iPhone. I transferred it to my Mac - as I have done zillions of times. It appeared as a .HEIC file.
What??

Post subject: Re: Photo format
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:14 am 

That's the default file format for taken pics on later iPhones. You may convert them to JPG at a later date or sort now - Settings > Camera > Formats and pick Most Compatible.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:22 am 

I have an iPhone 11. It isn't, therefore, a late model. And this is the very first time that a pic not a .jpg was taken/sent.
I will make the adjustment in Settings - but I "don't get it". Unless it is a change made/released with the last iOS update.

Thanks.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:47 am 

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:11 pm 

HEIC has been the file format for at least a couple of years.

Edit: Apple starting using HEIC in 2017.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:13 pm 

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:22 pm 

If that is, in fact, the case, then the latest iOS update made that format the default. Not the first time that Apple thinks that it knows best.
Again: today's photo was the first ever non-.jpg . I have taken photos over the last couple of years!

Actually. my camera's settings read: HEIF - not HEIC.
Whatever.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:28 pm 

https://www.imore.com/how-take-jpeg-pic ... stead-heic

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:05 pm 

@Jonah,
Thanks for the Wiki articles - but that stuff is Greek to me.
The only containers that I understand are the ones for compost, metal, plastic, paper, and (other) garbage.

@Defcom,
From your imore.com linked article:
1. Launch the Settings app
2. Tap Photos
3. Tap Automatic.
This setting is extremely useful as it now means that any time you transfer photos from iPhone to Mac or PC they will automatically send in JPEG rather than HEIC.

I had Automatic ticked all this time. Therefore, my lack of understanding of why the photo landed on my Mac in .HEIC format.

I did have High Efficiency chosen in camera settings (format), but the photo setting has always meant that I got a .jpg transferred. Not today, however!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:35 pm 

I have Automatic ticked and my iPhone sends HEIC to my Mini when using AirDrop.

Have you just updated your Mac OS? If so, maybe it is something to do with that? I am on Ventura now on the Mini. My previous iMac was Catalina but I cannot remember if HEIC or JPG were sent when using AirDrop so I’m just guessing.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:25 pm 

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:59 pm 

Yes - i have recently updated my Mac's OS.

When using AirDrop for the photo first referenced in this topic (taken early today), It came to my Mac as .HEIC. When taking a photo and using AirDrop later today, the photo arrived on my Mac as .jpg. Automatic was the setting both times.
I had never dealt with a .HEIC photo before.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:12 am 

Mojave is the culprit then. It’s easy enough to convert to JPEG with Preview.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:36 am 

"It’s easy enough to convert to JPEG with Preview."
That is clear. Although, at first, Preview was not identified as an app capable of opening it. That, however, is easy enough to fix/change.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:56 am 

Double clicking on a HEIC file opens it in Preview for me. Also if I right click and chose 'Open with' the default is Preview, despite me having Affinity Photo and Adobe Photoshop installed.

But it's good that you now know the what, why and how of it.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS