[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Football Thread
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Football Thread
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:16 pm 

Swansea will be competing in the Europa League next season but will be representing England.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:53 pm 

I thought the welsh teams where not allowed to play in Europe.

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:40 pm 

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:17 pm 

Good to know but a bit unfair for the teams left in wales as they cant qualify through their Welsh cup.

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:13 pm 

Watch and learn, kids. Messi scores with 5 AC Milan players within 2m of him.

He's easily the best player in the world, and watching this game makes the Premier League look like schoolboys' football.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:00 am 

There is no doubt that Messi is one of the finest players of his generation but that photo doesn't tell the whole story. Three of those players were not in any position to mount a half-hearted challenge, let alone a serious challenge to stop Messi from getting his shot away, they weren't even close enough when he actually received the ball.

And why slag off the Premier League or was it just a dig at British and UK players? If so, why? A lot of British and UK players are technically very good but you will find that the majority of players in the Premier League are now from other countries.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:27 am 

No, the photo doesn't tell the whole story. Watch the goal again though and you'll see two of the three players that you say were in no position to mount a half-hearted challenge were so initially. The bottom at the back, and the middle at the back both could have. The middle one, even without knowing that Messi was in behind him, could have made an effort to intercept that first ball, and then tracked faster to close the return ball. The bottom player has no excuse. He could see Messi, he was right in front of him. Instead of moving in between Messi and the ball he stood off, at one point even shaping away from Messi - there was no need to try and cut out a pass to the outside as there was already a defender. It's Messi, you need to protect yourself from him. And that's my point, I was originally commenting more on his ability than a lack thereof of the defenders - even without them around him, that shot was a different class entirely.

As for 'slagging off' the Premier League, I did not. And no, it wasn't a dig at British and UK players. If it was, I would have said that, would I not? I'm all too aware that the Premier League has an awful lot of foreign players in it, and I know what needs to be done in this country (and I know you know this because of our previous posts on youth football). The Premier League doesn't attract players like Messi, and for good reason. My observation and opinion was that last night's game has put the majority of Premier League matches to shame, and even losing 4-0, AC Milan put on a performance that was a lot better than many Premier League teams can, particularly those that are in the Champions League if you want to make a straight comparison to the competition.

If you don't agree, fine, but not sure my post warranted your response?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:32 pm 

Put the premiership to shame - sure it did. Did you notice that not one player ran up to confront or argue with the Ref.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:59 pm 

I'm just glad my teams in the Scottish third devision :roll:

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:00 pm 

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:02 pm 

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:18 pm 

Wow, just wow. I can't believe you're arguing about this BBW?! It's this sort of hot-headed response (and from a mod, too) that makes people not want to contribute on forums. I posted what I thought was a good picture, of a world-class player, with a comment, in a light-hearted thread.

Both myself and tzus were specifically comparing the game we watched last night to the Premier League as a whole. You've just quoted tzus and rhetorically asked if they think it happens in other countries? tzus made a comparison on that specific game, not a league or country as a whole. Sorry, BBW, but you're just downright wrong on that - if you're going to create a situation out of something like this you should at least back it up with accuracy.

Related to that, you quote me, and mis-quote your response. You originally accused me of 'slagging off' the Premier League and asked if I was having a 'dig' at British and UK players. In your quote you tell me that the schoolboys comment sounds like a 'dig' to you. It's pedantic, yes, but you've made it be that way by your comments.

I still have no idea what your agenda was for the way you responded, but I'm going to bow out of this now, and thank you for sucking the fun out of the thread, and my post.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:39 pm 

I apologise if I have caused you any offence as none was intended.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:50 pm 

.. I was shocked by Ferdinad's childish display after the final whistle, he should have been reprimanded and banned for that.

'If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people'
Tony Benn

l l

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:48 pm 

My team Port Vale need a win to be certain of automatic promotion this Saturday but a point maybe enough. How are other posters teams shaping up ? I know QPR (Defcoms Team ) are virtually down and Wolves (BBW ) are looking in danger of relegation. What's happened to Crapdays team ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 34  Next

Board index » Couch