[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Privacy law: impingement on press freedoms or bugger off
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:29 pm 

The odious Kelvin McKenzie was on the Today programme this morning sprouting bollocks about 70 year old judges making arbitrary laws about what the public had a right to know. I personally don't give a rat's arse about the sex lives of footballers/models/actors or anyone else in public life. Further, a privacy law in this country is long overdue. This would leave McKenzie and the rest of his rabid cohorts twisting in the wind.

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:03 pm 

Odious is the right word for McKenzie. He's one of those irritating people TV loves because he shouts everyone else down, says outrageous things, and gets people cross. Sadly, there seems to be a rather large cohort who actually believe what he says because he says it so confidently.

He should run for President.

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:10 pm 

While I do not care about the affairs of media personalities, when it comes to Sir Fred Goodwin , who was chairman of RBS, one the failed banks, things are not so clear. It is alleged that he was having an affair with a senior colleague, without being allowed to know the details, it's impossible to tell if this could have had any effect on the running of the business and it's failure.

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:08 pm 

I really don't give a s**t which celeb/public figure does what to a high class hooker/business partner/farm animal but I hate the way in which the rich think they have a right to buy themselves out of trouble!

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:58 pm 

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:40 pm 

I think the fuss is about whether at a time when he should have been giving 100% attention to the business people think because he was having an affair with a senior colleague his mind as well as his hands were wandering. Since at the time RBS were planning the disastrous takeover of ABN Amro (which brought £16 billion of the £24 billion total losses the bank went to the government to pick up for them).

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:10 pm 

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:39 pm 

But no bugger wants to know about my antics because I am not a highly paid public figure, role model, sex icon. If you want to be an extrodenarily wealthy welsh footballer (or even a balding scouse footballer/shrek) you need to accept that the public have an interest in you. You don't stop being a popular figure / icon just because you take your footy boots off.

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:28 am 

Interesting facts:

1) All the super injunctions have been taken out by men;
2) All the kiss and tell stories began with women approaching the press.

A lot of the activity seems to therefore be related to women "entrapping" famous men in order to sell their stories to the press. That's a story as old as the hills, it's just a bit more up to date.

The thing is, does being famous open up all of your life to public scrutiny? I don't think so. What people get up to in the bedroom, or who they do it with, makes no difference to me. The only way it could be relevant to the public interest would be if the team were doing badly, and the star player was off womanising and partying till the small hours each day which was affecting his performance.

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:35 pm 

Footballers are role models whether you think so or not. The antics I see on the football pitch when refereeing from kids as young as 9 tell me that. Unfortunately, this also applies to their 'private' life. If they misbehave then it will filter down to the younger fans who will think that it is an acceptable way to behave.

Now you may say that people aren't that gullible but unfortunately they are.

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:27 pm 

I agree with that, I've seen kids copying their football heroes a few times and it doesn't bode well for the future. When the managers or the players argue with each other or the officials this behaviour is repeated by kids in many different situations, including at school with teachers, in the street with the police, other grown ups and so on.

There's a growing belief in society that authority is only there to be abused. It's quite sad really.

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:42 pm 

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:42 pm 

Privacy is important when not everyone is an exhibitionist.

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:50 pm 

:?

Board index » Couch