[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Techradar
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Techradar
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:28 am 

Location: MacBook Pro13" 2.2GHz 10.10.2 4GB RAM 500GB WD Hard Drive 10.8.5 + iPhone 6 16GB

"The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market, but it is clearly the top 10%."
Douglas Adams

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:21 am 

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:30 am 

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:34 am 

Last night there appeared to be 2 announcement posts and I've replied on both of them

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:48 pm 

Somebody moved "Announcement about major changes to forums" to the General Chat area. Guess they wanted to bury our comments.

Nancy

2 Mini 2.3GHz Core i5 OSX10.7 / MacPro 2GHz DC Xeon 5130 OSX10.7 10.4 & WindowsXP / MDD 1GHzDP OSX10.4 & OS 9.2 / iBook G4 1.2GHz OSX10.4 / 9600/300 PPC OS9.2 / iPod 20GB 3rd Gen / iPad Wi-Fi 16GB 1st Gen iOS5 / iPhone 4 GSM 16GB iOS7

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:50 pm 

14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:21 pm 

A post about issues with the TechRadar forum. Not much of one though.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:35 pm 

Well, it's Friday afternoon and I just had a good look around TR.
I have to say the layout/navigation is absolutely atrocious. It's like they just bolted bits and pieces on to the original forum.
There are enough adverts there without having more in the middle of replies. I't hard to find the content amongst all the adverts/links/etc.
In the category "Tech Help" they have a sub-forum called Macintosh. Further down in "Talk about tech", there's a sub-forum called Apple. Further down there another forum called MacFormat.
If I'm browsing the Apple forum, the only navigation available is back to Main Forum. Then I have to scroll down and enter Apple forum again.
There's still pages (The photo thread) where the right column overlaps the content. I know every project will have teething problem, but there appears to have been no planning put into this move whatsoever.
I ain't no MacFormat fanboi either - I'll give TR a chance but every day this mess continues, the less likely I am to return.
I'd hate to think where we'd all be but for Mac4mac now.

http://twitter.com/john__mee

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:53 pm 

Seems to me that they should have merged the forums one by one rather en masse. That way they could have learned by their mistakes.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:30 pm 

The following extract is from Future Plc Interim Report (2010) (first half year revenue of £71.4m generating an operating profit of £3m):

"One of our key strategic priorities is to diversify our revenue model beyond print and we’ve continued to make strong progress here during the first half. Significant growth in traffic to our online properties in the last 18 months is being turned into a push for real engagement with our ‘prosumer’ audiences online – increasing time spent on site, growing the number of forum users, Facebook and Twitter followers. So we’re gaining more commercial benefit from these relationships. Take TechRadar. We launched this technology website from a standing start in 2007 and in just over two years we’re now vying with CNET in the UK for the top spot in the technology space, with nearly one million unique users per month and with dwell time double that of CNET (source: Hitwise Feb 10). Thanks to this depth of engagement, we’ve seen commercial revenues jump 21% in just a year."

If Techradar is proving profitable, then merging forums (in theory) should drive that revenue further.

Alas I think the way they've handled it has not engaged with the prosumer audience online.

iPad 2 16GB 6.0

Last edited by strix on Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:32 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: They have no idea.

14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:34 pm 

This from a post on PCFormat.

14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:38 pm 

Only 24h after i worked it out by myself :x

"Hi mcf_defcom,

Our apologies for the problems with the transition to the new forums, we are working hard to correct them.

In our email yesterday, we gave you incorrect details about your user name.

You login details are as follows:

Username: mcf_defcom

Please try again with these new details.

Many thanks,

Nick,
Editor in Chief"

14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:41 pm 

iPad 2 16GB 6.0

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:42 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Couch