[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Your first record.... and have you still got it?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:39 am 

- or CD for the young 'uns :D

started the ball rolling.... It'll be a great guide to the age of posters, especially as the very first one I bought was a 78 :shock: and .

I think it's still in a cupboard somewhere, but I've nothing to play it on even if I could find it.

First 45 single . Still got it and a load of other 45s
First album was a 10inch LP (Lonnie Donegan again), which I've still got but am pretty sure has not been played in well over 40 years.

It's kind of cringe-making now but at the time Donegan was breaking the mould and getting popular music away from the domination of ballad singers and crooners. And a very young John Lennon was inspired by him to form his first group, the Quarrymen.

But! My generation was probably the first to hear parents shouting....
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
WILL YOU TURN THAT RACKET DOWN!!! Image

Last edited by Highmac on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:55 am 
Site Admin

I'm embarrassed to say that the first single I bought was by Roxy Music. Must have liked it at the time, but I was only 9. :shock:

My vinyl collection is pretty small as I used to record from the radio on Sunday nights Top 40 or buy cassettes.
I moved onto CDs during the mid 80's.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:02 pm 

Great topic.

'Who's next' The Who, still have it, in pristine condition and still have a record player too.

Apple TV4
AirPods
plus several other Macs around the house

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:06 pm 

First single Dave Edmunds - I Hear You Knocking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry2td7q5ZMc

First album Led Zeppelin 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kQWiAOaA9c

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:23 pm 

Bought two 7" singles at the same time so I'll mention both.

Nice 'n' Sleazy by The Stranglers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYqllpnyWrY

and

Rat Trap by The Boomtown Rats - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=024UcB1m7Do

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:39 pm 

I didn't buy that many 45s but I do remember Little Eva's which I mentioned in the other thread, and also one by Mike Sarne way back when, I remember being in a record shop in Chester (I think) and asking for the one called "If there's something that I like". This confused everybody and they pored through the record catalogues and produced a list of classical records and other records, none of which was what I was after - until somebody hit upon what I was looking for after I started singing it. It was "Just For Kicks" by Mike Sarne. :lol:

This was in the early 60s when I was about 10. :D

My second bike, a Triumph Tiger 100 ~1969

Last edited by Leewave on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:41 pm 

Macbook Pro 2.53 ghz - OSX Yosemite
iPhone 6 64GB (White) Unlocked
iPhone 5 16gb (white) Unlocked
iPhone 3G 16GB
iPad 2 16gb Wi-fi
G4 iMac
iPod photo
Ipod Touch 4g 8gb
iPod Nano 4gb
Apple TV
1961 Vespa VBB150

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:57 pm 

Rattus Norvegicus - Brilliant album. :D

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:14 pm 

Macbook Pro 2.53 ghz - OSX Yosemite
iPhone 6 64GB (White) Unlocked
iPhone 5 16gb (white) Unlocked
iPhone 3G 16GB
iPad 2 16gb Wi-fi
G4 iMac
iPod photo
Ipod Touch 4g 8gb
iPod Nano 4gb
Apple TV
1961 Vespa VBB150

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:47 pm 

I've a ten inch LP of Johnny Ray singing live at the London Palladium recorded from a single mike hanging over the stage.

I wonder if I still have the two twelve inch LPs of the Benny Goodman Concert at Carnegie Hall, January 16th 1938? Now replaced by some CDs that my youngest daughter, bless her, gave me one Christmas.

Somewhere there's a seven inch EP of the Mound City Blue Blowers 'cos Glenn Miller was playing trombone.

Looks like I've got an excuse to go searching and thus miss Strictly tonight. :D

IMac 21.5 May 2010 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 8 GB 1067 MHx DDR3 Sierra 10.12.6, Snow Lepard 10.6.8.
iPad Air2 11.1.1
iPhone 4S 9.3.5
iPad Air

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:13 pm 

My first record was a 12".... Spent weeks at number one, Bryan Adams "Everything I Do".... Still got it too. My first single.... Shampoo 'Trouble'. I swear on my life, my taste is much better now...

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:14 pm 

the first 45 purchased myself was run run (jo jo gunne) 1972 aged 9. then the next year aged 10 was given dark side of the moon ( pink floyd) for my birthday. i had and still have very odd taste in music for a girl ;) i purposely have not mentioned my bay city roller phase :oops:

iPhone 5 ( left home as well)
Apple TV
Mac book pro 13 inch 2016 2.9 ghz intel core i5 high sierra
iPad Pro
iPhone 7

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:06 pm 

OK, I realise that the next step is to carbon date me, but the very first single record (45rpm) was Eartha Kitt singing, er, uhm, something!

I soon stopped buying singles, or even EPs, favouring LPs (decorating my walls with the covers!).

My rock-and-roll phase was brief (as in: few records bought) after I discovered Jazz. My personal Epiphany in that respect was seeing the documentary movie Jazz on a Summers Day, about the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival (the film is from 1960).

But 60% of my CD collection is Classical.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:24 pm 

Hi I am not sure which record was the first but it was almost certainly Johnny Cash, I now have 26 JC
LPs plus some cds . I still buy vinyl in fact I have just spent a rather large (for me) amount on a new stylus.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:38 pm 

First LP: - I saw on TV and I was hooked.

Board index » Couch