[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Motor racing
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Motor racing
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:37 pm 

Annoying, isn’t it!? Investors given up all hope of avoiding the news and social media until they show the highlights. Great race today though, love a bit of rain to mix things up a bit.

* Witty statement goes here *

Last edited by MacOS10 on Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:46 pm 

It brought to mind the episode of The Likely Lads trying to avoid the football results. I'm sure the other oldies know the one.

Yes it was entertaining. No big crashes but plenty of spins which kept the drivers alert. I hear the FIA want the cars to be less grippy in a couple of years which could liven things up if the manufacturers don't work around. Like the JPS with skirts and the one with a suction fan :D

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:17 pm 

The BBC are so petty. Just because they don't have F1 anymore they will spoil people's day. Yes, I know it's sports news, but instead of starting "In Formula One..." they leap straight in with the winner's name before you have the chance to start singing loudly while reaching for the mute button. NO-ONE is going to persuade me that's not deliberate.

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:16 pm 

Oh, it's deliberate all right.
Some people do make silly mistakes on the same channel as well; when Channel 4 was showing races both live and repeats of the awkward time zones in the afternoon, I made a point of missing newscasts but just happened to turn the telly on to the cooking part of Channel 4's Sunday morning show and Tim Lovejoy said, right in the middle of cooking, "by the way, congratulations to Lewis Hamilton on winning the Malaysian GP" one hour before the same channel was due to show the repeat. Twit! What the shite did that have to do with bloody saucepans?

Blessed are the censors; for they shall inhibit the earth.
"Some day Dragon Balls could power the world!"
5893 posts on MF, not that I'm keeping count or anything.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:24 pm 

that is TOTALLY unforgiveable from the very channel that actually has the highlights rights.

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:03 pm 

Bloody hell, the woman presenter after the adverts has just given away a bit of info 10 seconds before the show begins.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:33 pm 

I think it is fair to say "that was a hell of a start to the race" without spoiling.

The fiery crash was spectacular to see and can't have been much fun for the driver. I gather he'll be fine. It was a bit of a freak event, the car getting sliced like that.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:42 pm 

I get why sportspeople get honours, but they tend to live in and represent the UK, and pay taxes. Hamilton was just lucky he had the faster German car which complied with the current F1 regulations, so not really a feat.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:00 pm 

People who get by on luck alone don’t become a seven times World Champion. Hamilton is the best driver on the grid at the moment and the best drivers have always driven the best cars. Winning the highest number of races and championships is one hell of a feat.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:46 pm 

I was thinking in terms of George Russel's result when he stood in for Lewis (yes, I am on first name terms (no I'm not)). He was winning until Mercedes cocked up, whereas he wasn't so hot in a Williams. The car was superior. Also, yes LH is a good driver. I would not disagree at all. He comes across as a decent/nice enough chap. I'm not so sure on the honour.

On a separate angle - some people get them as a result of a joke. I know of one such case but I will not say anything as the recipient is still alive and OBEing. Their boss submitted the nomination purely for sh & giggles to see what happened.

Back to motor sport - Elfyn Evans was unlucky in the last WRC race. Well, he crashed out but snow and ice was involved.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:10 pm 

Hamilton probably would have won the race that Russell didn’t. That’s the difference with champions - they find a way. Senna, Prost, Schumacher all did and so has Hamilton.

As for the honours system - it’s old, archaic and should either have a massive overhaul or be scrapped. Unfortunately it’s a way for politicians to give something to their mates.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:36 pm 

I've been watching some of the Dakar 2021. More like Wacky Races. Nothing I'd want to try, even if I was younger.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:24 pm 

Blimey. Alfa Romeo making sure everyone knows they had enough small change left over from car development for a launch video...

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12478 ... a-1-season

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:57 pm 

I'll say it in here because she was a wicked fast driver. I was gutted to hear that Sabine Schmitz died five days ago. It was mentioned before Top Gear started. She was gorgeous, sparkling, nuts and drove better than I could ever manage in several lifetimes. Cancer is a bugger.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:50 pm 

A TG special on TV soon. Tribute to Sabine. It will include the good presenters, as well as the recent and current ones.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

Board index » Couch