[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Films
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Films
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:09 pm 

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:05 pm 

I did enjoy it but oddly found the giant screen tooooo overwhelming.

I will add it to my DVD list for a further scrutiny when it comes out.

Bit baffled about the liquid water in the space-port launch pad on Mars, (that our intrepid hero wades through to get on board the spaceship)

I would have though it would freeze but I may have missed some crucial Martian geological info.

Or I should have suspended more disbelief.

Your warning level: [ 1 ]

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:12 pm 

Yesterday I watched "Stan & Ollie". I like Laurel and Hardy. I don't like Steve Coogan (nothing personal, just his act). He did a good Stan but the film was pretty poor overall. It skipped much of the important stuff about their relationship and added some fiction. I'd have been lost if I hadn't seen a documentary programme on Sky Arts about them. 5/10.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:58 pm 

More Space Ace stuff...

I shall be awaiting lift off on Friday night - With some astronomical levels of quality ales and choice nibbles.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:19 pm 

I watched Frozen II the other day. Whilst the songs weren't as strong as the ones in the first film (no surprise given how good they were) and the storyline not as good, the animation was absolutely fantastic. The technical heights they achieved was astounding. I think it's worth watching just to see how good the animation if.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:28 pm 

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:58 am 

I'm not sure, there were a lot of programmes on last summer around the 50th anniversary.

This one has newly restored footage and audio, and contains no narration or present day interviews etc.

Next Wednesday on Netflix, to clarify.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:51 am 

That sounds good to me, no commentary no narration or present day interviews. They're fine of course, but to capture the mood and the atmosphere you have to immersed in it. I was alive then believe it or not! And at a young age of 17 years, it made an impression on me.

I did see a lot of the coverage earlier on the TV here, and the coverage that impressed me the most was that done by Channel 4. There was a week's worth of programs reliving the events as they happened in real time. Without commentary or explanation. Very atmospheric and very much of interest to me.

I tend to prefer factual and real movies rather than fictitious ones which all together get even more incredible and silly. I tried. But I turn off quickly. I recorded Men in Black for about the fourth time, I tried to watch it but couldn't get very far because it was so stupid and ignorant, I'm sorry this kind of fiction doesn't do it for me.

Maybe drag myself to the cinema then!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:30 am 

The Apollo 11 film is factual - so I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

This one isn't, but it does try to remain fact based, as far as space flight and the problems involved are concerned.

I highly rate it:

It's a watch at least three time a year at jezza Towers.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:59 pm 

Looks like you may need to get your VHS recorder serviced! :)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:07 am 

Yeah, it's on my list, along with a new valve for my old Bush Bakelite radio.

I just can't pick up the Home News any more.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:24 am 

Does anyone actually still have a VCR now?

We decided to get a Blu-Ray player when our last VCR died a few years ago, bought a few Blu-Ray disks and then stopped. All my film and TV collections are digital now, kept in my iTunes library.

If I do buy any DVDs they get digitised straight away and then stored.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:26 am 

I still have a VCR for transferring old home made tapes to digital format.

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:54 pm 

I watched two films yesterday.

Mary and The Witches Flowers. Anime, English dubbed. Good animation but the story was a bit meh compared to Studio Ghibli films. All the same, not bad.

Justice League. The DC "live action" one. The story was padded out and could have been edited shorter. The CGI was poor. Not a patch on Marvel films. It looked like a computer game rather than anything real. DC films are bad in my opinion. I gave up with Batman many films ago. I should have avoided this.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:36 pm 

Blade Runner 2049. Unnecessarily long. Not the clearest of plots. Boring synth background music, because that's what they have in the future :roll: . I expected better but now I've seen it so job done. 5/10 from the grumpy jury member.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Couch