[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - The Formula 1 Thread
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post subject: The Formula 1 Thread
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:32 am 

As the Formula 1 thread proved to be popular, interesting and a race is coming up on Sunday, what do people think of either Lewis or Button's chances of the championship?

Poor spellers of the world untie

Post subject: Re: The Formula 1 Thread
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:12 pm 

Personally I think they've both blown it. It's a 3 horse race now. Alonso, vettel or Webber.

I'd like to see Webber win it. "Hate" is a very strong word and not one that I use much where people are concerned, especially when I don't know them personally. But, I have a hatred of Alonso and really want to see him fail!

I don't want Vettel to win it as he's German and we've had too many German F1 Champions (the same bloody one) in recent years. He's also still young, he's shown a lot of inexperience and immaturity this season, and will have many good chances in the future.

Webber has been around a while and has been strong all season. I think he deserves some success. He's also the closest thing to a British champion we're going to get this season IMO.

27" iMac 2.93 GHz i7 12Gb Ram 10.7|15" MBP 2.66 GHz 4Gb Ram 10.8|1Tb Time Capsule|3rd Gen 1080 ATV|2nd Gen 720 ATV
64Gb WiFi iPad2|iPhone 5 32Gb|iPhone 4S 16Gb|iPod Touch 32Gb|VM 100Mb BB

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:36 pm 

Webber to win it for me. He deserves it especially after Red Bull took new parts off his car and out them on Vettel's.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:35 pm 

Why can't Jensen get his car to perform as well as Hamilton can? Lewis routinely out qualifies and out performs Jensen.

I can't help but wonder if, bearing in mind the front diffuser saga, last years Championship was a fluke for Jensen and was all to do with the car not his driving.

27" iMac 2.93 GHz i7 12Gb Ram 10.7|15" MBP 2.66 GHz 4Gb Ram 10.8|1Tb Time Capsule|3rd Gen 1080 ATV|2nd Gen 720 ATV
64Gb WiFi iPad2|iPhone 5 32Gb|iPhone 4S 16Gb|iPod Touch 32Gb|VM 100Mb BB

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:41 pm 

Jenson generally uses less downforce than Lewis, and remember the car has been designed around Hamilton's driving style. You can see this from the speed trap where Button is usually faster than Lewis.

In today's qualifying the track temperature was cool which made the tyres less sticky, and while Lewis's extra downforce pushed them down enough into the track to warm up, Jenson's lighter downforce levels were not so good at getting the temperature into the tyres, which made them less sticky, less grippy, and therefore less fast.

That has a knock on effect on the brakes; the disk materials they use operate best at 900C (hot enough to melt quite a few metals) but in order to reach these temperatures they need the tyres to grip enough to slow the car down. If the tyres are too cold, the brakes won't get a full workout, and so will slow the car down less, and the car will again be slower.

This might encourage Jenson to take two laps to get a fast time, rather than Hamilton's one, which means Jenson has to carry more fuel. More fuel equals more weight equals slower lap time on the first lap. Hamilton has always been a Banzai driver though, whereas Jenson is calmer and more deliberate in his approach. This also favours Lewis in qualifying, but in the race Button often does a lot better as his tactical awareness is generally better while Hamilton relies more on what the team tells him to do. This has led to problems for Jenson at various times this year when the team have treated him as if he were driving in the same style as Lewis, and there have been too many races where their pit stop strategy has passed a Jenson lead to Alonso through calling him in too early.

It always takes a year to get to grips with a new car in F1, and I expect Jenson to do better next year, both because the engineers will be more used to his way of thinking, and he will be more familiar with the team and the car - even though next year a new one appears.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:50 pm 

Poor spellers of the world untie

Board index » Couch