[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Your first record.... and have you still got it?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:22 pm 

For me it must have been Down To Earth by Rainbow, or Black Sabbaths first album. Don't have the vinyl versions anymore, but have the CDs....

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:26 pm 

The first record (actual proper vinyl record) I bought was Guyver - Man On The Moon. I was lucky enough to meet guy quite recently and got the record signed.

The first record (as in album) I remember buying with my own money was Queen Greatest Hits 2 when I was 11-12

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:30 pm 

Not aimed at any 'Dave' in particular ;) http://youtu.be/dSINO6MKtco :D

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:57 am 

Ha Ha ,love it.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:19 pm 

Sorry can't remember the first record I bought but I do remember the 50's -Elvis, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison. I also remember a duke box at a holiday site in North Wales and all day long it played just Elvis - even if you were there first thing when it was switched on Elvis started up from the previous day.

Best memory is going to see Buddy at the Liverpool Phil, I was right up at the very back at the top of the house and when buddy walked on stage and they all 'struck up' all we could hear was the drums - no power to the amps, curtains close then 5mins later off we go.

Lonnie Donegan rings a bell too - saw him once playing with Chris Barber at a jazz hall we went to in Wallasey, during the band break I remember him strumming and singing odd bits of different songs guitar and banjo.

Joined the Army in '58 so kinda drifted out of the music world.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:54 am 

First 45 I ever bought was I Need You by B.V.S.M.P - I was young (10). Bought from Woolworths in Romford on a shopping trip with my then best friend Brett Oatham. Them's were the days!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:31 pm 

All the other girls in my class at secondary school in the 1970's were all besotted with either David Cassidy, Donny Osmond or the awful Bay City Rollers, not me, my hero was Roy Wood, my first 45 was bought in January 1973 and was Ball Park Incident by Wizzard. Haven't got the original any longer but I do have it on CD.

My first LP purchase was also in 1973 and was The Wild the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle by Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band. I still have the LP though no means of playing it.

Still a huge fan of Roy and Bruce, Neil Young and Roy Orbison found places in my record collection a little later. I can still remember the look of horror on my Dads face when the posters of Roy with his purple back combed hair and painted face went up on the bedroom wall :lol:

White MacBook late 2007 - Snow Leopard iPhone 7 IPod Touch 2 Gen. iPad 6 Gen.
Nikon D5600 on

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:50 am 

Location: On new account as old one got deleted by mistake. Post count back to 0 from 1000!
My first proper single was Yellow Submarine by The Beatles. Queued to buy it too (see it isn't just Apple products that people queue for ;) I then bought the previous Beatles singles. Yes, I still have them all, in the original paper covers, on the Parlophone label.

Before that it was really childrens' records such as Marina Speaks (part of the Stingray story series) and suchlike.

MacBook Pro 10.10 - MacBook Pro 10.8 - Mac Mini 10.6.8 - iPhone 6s - iPhone 5s - iPhone 4s - iPad Pro - iPad Air - Apple TV - Airport Extreme - Mac Classic 6.0.7 - iBook clamshell

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:52 am 
Site Admin

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:06 pm 

First 45 was Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood. I then got the album then one each of the 45's and 12". Got their follow up album and was so disappointed. First CD was best of Fleetwood Mac. Still got them all.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:20 am 

Yes I know this is an old, old thread, last used 2012 but it has mention of Buddy Holly who died 65 years ago today (Feb 3rd). (I did a search.) I remember the news of the crash well, though I wasn't so up on The Big Bopper or Ritchie Valens at the time.

On topic - I'll Never Find Another You - Billy Fury. I do still have it and all my vinyl. It sometimes comes up on Sound of the Sixties (Radio 2, Saturday mornings).

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:35 am 

For me it was

I must've been 10 if it came out in 1962. I bought it in Chester and I took it home on the bus, it was in a brown paper bag and I held it in my right hand. When I got home I discovered that now it had four ripples in it. Every time it played the needle bounced along the ripples, fortunately never dropping out, but it gave it a particular character! Everybody's doing the Locomotion (ripple ripple ripple ripple) :D

I don't remember my first album. That was later in the 60s. I had a few, mostly prog rock. I remember buying Relayer by Yes, though it was definitely not my first album. I think I had In the Court of the Crimson King - that could have been the first. But actually I can't remember/

A lot of my first music came from recording albums on reel to reel tape from friends. Early Yes, Genesis
I remember listening to Radio Luxembourg late at night in bed quite a lot. That was brilliant and formative.
Including from Keynsham spelt KEYNSHAM.

Board index » Couch