[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Our Hobbies
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post subject: Our Hobbies
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:20 pm 

I can't remember if we had a thread on this already, so I thought I'd post this up to see what people do with their time when they're not glued to their Mac reading the Tech Radar forums... :twisted:

My 2 main hobbies are photography and cars in one way or another. I used to be into performance and even took my old Camaro to Santa Pod but now as some of you know I'm into off-roading in my beloved Jeep. (see 2 vids below) The reason for the latter is to hopefully realise a few dreams and do some sort of expeditions. Time and money will dictate if they ever happen but I can always start small... The photography has taken a back seat of late due to work commitments with what few free weekends I have being dedicated to the Jeep.

I bought a metal detector several months ago and that's something else I want to pursue, if I ever get the time. So far I've only been out maybe half a dozen times but that's better then camping, so far I have a load of equipment for that I haven't even used once! :oops:

That's about it for my hobbies I think...

What does everyone else get up to?

MacBook Pro 13" - 2.7 Core i7, 8GB 256GB SSD
iPhone 4 32GB
AppleTV Mk1
.Mac
Synology 410J NAS

Post subject: Re: Our Hobbies
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:01 am 

Pretty much the same hobbies as you then HRC :D

So that's cars and photography, but throw in mountain biking and generally tinkering and building things.
I've always been into building, modifying and restoring cars (mostly classics) and have far too many projects on all of which were my daily drivers and or track cars - 911, 124 Spider, VW Roadster. And inevitably the Jeep and Crossfire are projects now.

I used to do a lot of off roading in the late 80's early '90s, mostly green laning but some PCTs too. I have very fond memories of an epic trip to Portugal, through the Pyrenees and Picos D' Europa. I gradually gave it up though as the whole scene became very political and lanes were getting illegally blocked and anyone with a 4x4 was suddenly considered a hooligan who tore up the countryside at high speed. Which of course was a complete exaggeration mostly based cases of 'yuppies' getting their Range Rovers stuck on the heavily used section of the Ridgeway. I count myself lucky that I was able to drive most of the classic trails and ancient tracks before they were permanently closed to vehicular traffic - Gap Road, Sarn Helen, Gwyn Fawr, Watling Street etc, and the in the Highlands. It was before the days of the internet so you actually had to do your research with OS and definitive maps held by the local authorities (you still do really), not just grab a link from a forum and stick it in your satnav!
I've never done a 'quarry day' (except on a quad bike!) as I prefer the sense of adventure and history of exploring the countyside, rather than doing it for an adrenaline rush. It is obviously great fun though and good practice :D
I've recently started revisiting some of the local tracks in the Jeep and luckily many of them have actually been reopened. I found some of the Welsh lanes I used to drive still legal and passable too.

A clip from the 'good old days' http://vimeo.com/2401161 (Edit - fixed link!)

My trusty Ex London-Peking Niva kitted up for the Portugal trip in '94 - now scrapped :( but recently replaced with a Grand Cherokee (surprisingly capable even on road tyres) :D

For the last 10 years I've been into trackdays and high performance driving (in the 911 and the Crossfire, but even used my PT Cruiser for a while!), I also do a few club motorsport events. I had hoped to go racing last year and passed my ARDS test to get my race licence, but haven't got the money now!

A particularly fun day at Cadwell http://vimeo.com/7950784

Work and a back problem have prevented me from doing much this year though, so I've mainly just been taking pictures.

Last edited by Crossed-up on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:42 am 

Now you see, I knew you were into track days but had no idea you we're into four wheelin...

Most people in the club have Grand Cherokee's and they seem very capable indeed, especially with a small lift and all terrains. I think the Quadratrac system has some sort of locking diff, not a true mechanical lock, but some sort of auto locking lsd or something...

The Niva has just gone on sale in the UK again, via a private firm, for about £8k I think...

Your trip through the Pyranees is the sort of thing I want to do, but the quarry days are good for practice. I will avoid the "pay and play" days as it seems there are too many hooligans with £200 Suzukis or £500 land rovers so I will stick to JeepClub events...

Handily for me my local £5 car wash will still deal with the Jeep with no complaint even when I roll up with it looking like this:

MacBook Pro 13" - 2.7 Core i7, 8GB 256GB SSD
iPhone 4 32GB
AppleTV Mk1
.Mac
Synology 410J NAS

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:48 pm 

My main hobby is "training my dog to attack Bill Gates"

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:19 pm 

Crossed-up, that's probably the most enjoyable film of Cadwell Park I've seen, it really gives the feel of the circuit. Also the brake distances, revs, traction and cornering differences between BTCC-spec and road cars are well highlighted in that film.

Before anyone mentions drinking, one of my other hobbies is darts which I used to be quite good at until I got dartitis and began throwing myself face down in the carpet madly clutching a dart. When I got over that, things had changed - nowadays I'm just about good enough for a friendly pub team but I keep on chucking.

Sleeping. That's a good hobby when I can manage it.

Blessed are the censors; for they shall inhibit the earth.
"Some day Dragon Balls could power the world!"
5893 posts on MF, not that I'm keeping count or anything.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:08 pm 

I'm not the only 4x4er then...
Lada Nivas :lol: Great cars. I'm in the driving seat of the above Niva although it was NOT me who drove it into the puddle. (Photo scanned from AWDC magazine)

This is my own car of the last 8 years. I did drive it into this puddle :twisted:

I like driving into puddles... This is me again at Abingdon 2005

My old Landy at Bovington...

And my old Chevy at Bovington...

Some video of the Delica in water and green laning: http://tinyurl.com/3xqm3o7

And when I'm not getting real 4x4s dirty, I get my RC Models dirty...

Yes, and even they go in the water.... :twisted:

Oh yea. I like motorbikes and gadgets as well :roll: :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:20 pm 

I like a different kind of playing in the dirt— gardening.

2 Mini 2.3GHz Core i5 OSX10.7 / MacPro 2GHz DC Xeon 5130 OSX10.7 10.4 & WindowsXP / MDD 1GHzDP OSX10.4 & OS 9.2 / iBook G4 1.2GHz OSX10.4 / 9600/300 PPC OS9.2 / iPod 20GB 3rd Gen / iPad Wi-Fi 16GB 1st Gen iOS5 / iPhone 4 GSM 16GB iOS7

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:33 pm 

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:33 pm 

Satellite TV. Not just SLY but European TV. Thousands of channels; a comment which usually provokes the answer: 'You can only watch one at a time' Correct but what a choice. Rarely watch a UK program now.
This is something that comes with age. Used to race Mo bikes. Can't get me leg over 'em now

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:36 pm 

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:45 pm 

I love fireworks - I shall be readying a garden display for this Saturday, complete with bonfire, blazing torches, ground and aerial display.

Photos to follow (I hope) I bet someone hates fireworks and moans

Your warning level: [ 1 ]

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:42 am 

Just to add. If you are planning to have a Fireworks party, for Guy Fawkes or Diwali please remember the wildlife and pets.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:56 am 

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:03 am 

Photography and Diving :-)

Me preparing for a deep dive on a German WW1 Battleship in Scapa Flow

Some funny git thought it would be hilarious to put these stickers on my cylinders without me knowing until I returned from the dive :-)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:15 am 

That's one for flickr...

:)

Blessed are the censors; for they shall inhibit the earth.
"Some day Dragon Balls could power the world!"
5893 posts on MF, not that I'm keeping count or anything.

Board index » Couch