[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Nothing sucks like my Electrolux
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:56 am 
Site Admin

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:30 pm 

2 Mini 2.3GHz Core i5 OSX10.7 / MacPro 2GHz DC Xeon 5130 OSX10.7 10.4 & WindowsXP / MDD 1GHzDP OSX10.4 & OS 9.2 / iBook G4 1.2GHz OSX10.4 / 9600/300 PPC OS9.2 / iPod 20GB 3rd Gen / iPad Wi-Fi 16GB 1st Gen iOS5 / iPhone 4 GSM 16GB iOS7

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:48 am 

I learnt at my grammar school how to bend over to be slippered, write hundreds of lines and how to extend detentions so that the staff were itching for me to finish whatever stupid task I'd been given. I became a star at dumb insolence.

DIY? Yes, I've done plenty, couldn't afford to employ trades people. I remember well the woodwork master, almost purple with rage, 'you fool, boy' as I cut, yet another, piece of wood in the wrong place. Still, I cannot saw, cut, mark, draw straight. Including bread.

Dave and Carrie, your knowledge of Latin is why you write so well.

And I'm so glad I now know why the fridge door sticks. :lol:

IMac 21.5 May 2010 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 8 GB 1067 MHx DDR3 Sierra 10.12.6, Snow Lepard 10.6.8.
iPad Air2 11.1.1
iPhone 4S 9.3.5
iPad Air

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:12 pm 

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:18 pm 

I'm an electrician and I'm ok at most other trades such as plumbing, carpentry, demolition err well I get by anyway :roll: But the last time I said that on the old MacFormat forum I was accused of 'bragging' :geek: :o By someone who shall remain nameless... Mainly cause I can't remember their name :oops: But I can connect cookers without blowing them all up. By the way, you may want to familiarise yourselves with before you 'tackle' all electrical jobs (UK only) Some things need certification ;)

Another classic demonstration of the 'Electrolux' effect can be found in supermarkets when you open a big freezer door. Before you can see through the glass to 'see' the produce but as soon as you shut the door it 'disappears' behind a mist... :o

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:57 pm 

If you consider that our sea-level atmospheric pressure is about 15 pounds per square inch, and the area of a fridge door in square inches is ... (well, quite a few) - then even a small drop in pressure inside due to contraction of the warm air introduced when you open it could easily result in a force on the door of several pounds shortly after closing it.

I'm reminded of the rare stories of deranged passengers trying to open an aircraft door at altitude. They will never do it in a pressurised aircraft.

Why?
In order to open the door, it has to first move inwards, then slide vertically to unseat all the peripheral steel bolts in the door from the fixed steel support brackets around the door frame. You can only do this when the air pressure is the same inside as it is outside (during descent and then landing the pressure is programmed to progressively equalise by the pressurisation controller, then when the wheels are on the ground the dump valve opens to fully equalise the pressure).

A jet airliner is pressurised to about the equivalent of approximately 8000' altitude, while the outside pressure at, say 35,000' cruise altitude is much, much less - resulting in a differential positive pressure between the cabin and the outside air of about 5 pounds per square inch or more. The area of the door is, let's say, about 2200 square inches, meaning the would-be suicide merchant would have to pull in the door against about 5 metric tonnes in order to open it.

I don't think even Mike Tyson could do that.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:14 pm 

I'll remember this next time I am watching some stupid 'peril in the sky' film.

Board index » Couch