[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Electric Cars
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post subject: Electric Cars
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:02 am 

I took delivery of a fully electric car last November. I think it is great but I am a low low mileage driver so range anxiety hasn't really been a thing. So far I have hardly used my home charge point because I get a free boost at Tesco when I shop there. In fact I managed to go from south to north Wales and back for £0 thanks to Tesco Llanelli, Aberystwyth and Porthmadog.

At some time I will need to pay for a charge on a longer journey, which I don't have a problem with. I've been looking into this and some (like Ionity) only accept RFID cards rather than general contactless. I've seen one recommended called Electric Juice (from Octopus Energy) that works with many point providers. I am thinking of getting that as it won't cost unless I use it. A good thing to have in the wallet.

Now I'll get to the point of this ramble. There is a "refer a friend" scheme with E-Juice. If anyone has that card, refer me. If nobody uses it, I'll get one and can then refer others. Might as well get something out of them if it is on offer.

Are there any other similar RFID schemes that you know of?

If I don't get a reply after a few days I'll go ahead. I know there is at least one other EV driver here.

BTW, I got a Kia e-Niro.

Post subject: Re: Electric Cars
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:32 pm 

I waited and I guess nobody was an Electric Juice user. You don't have to be with Octopus to use this payment method and it doesn't cost any more than the charge network price.

I signed up and would be happy to recommend anyone else in future for both to get the credit. OK, it is only £5, but better than nothing. Not really something I'd miss.

Here's the site URL -

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:15 am 

They just changed the name from Electric Juice to Electric Universe.

Same thing. The other URL gets redirected. The app updated from one to the other.

https://electroverse.octopus.energy/

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:20 pm 

Here's a good one.

"More than 20 Scottish police stations have reportedly been given new electric vehicles without any charging points".

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:02 pm 

:roll: It would be funny if it wasn't tax payers money being wasted.

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:55 pm 

Still not convinced about electric cars, due to the infrastructure needed. My son, along with thousands of others, can't park within 30m( and often further away) of his house. How is he going to charge an electric car?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:51 am 

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:50 am 

My RFID card arrived today, some 9 working days after I joined. It has the old branding but as long as it works, I don't care. They said it would take 3-5 working days so sod's law, I chased up by email yesterday evening as they gave conflicting information about whether the card was sent automatically or I had to apply via the app (see below). Also we've had those postal strikes and they rebranded, so plenty of opportunities for a delay.

On the app:
Thanks for signing up - your Juice card is on its way to <postcode>

In the sign up email:
To unlock one-tap access to the networks on Electric Juice, you'll need to order your free Juice card. You can order yours from the profile page in the app & your personalised card will arrive within five working days.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:13 am 

I just taxed the car. £0. I wonder how long the Government will keep it at that level? The more electric cars on the road, the more vehicle duty they'll lose, never mind the two taxes on combustable fuels.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:22 pm 

Saw this on Twitter the other day and found it amusing.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:46 pm 

Matt makes a good point. It is a proper ± with electric and ICE cars.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:50 am 

Up to now, Tesco have been giving free charging at a selection of bigger stores. I would get about an hour each week which was a good top up. Now it costs 28p per kWh on a 7 kWh charger. This is still good as my unit cost at home (at the time of typing) is 32.35p per kWh.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:23 am 

You knew it would eventually arrive

Board index » Couch