[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Internet speed, ISP reviews
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:43 am 

It's 9.40am on a Monday and most people around here have gone to work...

BT Infinity 2

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:26 pm 

New router arrived and made no difference. My upload speed is now better than my download. :cry: TalkTalk are investigating further.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:08 am 

I know it is an old thread, but....

VM has started to roll out Gigabit broadband. Just in Southampton for now.

I'm currently getting 383/33 and that seems faster than I need. It isn't the raw theoretical speed that matters, it is response time from sites, etc. just as motorways are fine until there's a crash or roadworks ahead. I know me, though. I'd want it.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:27 am 

Think you're right about raw speed. Until recently I had 7 Mb down 0.4 Mb up and it seemed to be fine for me. Now I have about 35 down and 9 up, but haven't really noticed the difference, there are still hangups on occasion, but in general it seems fast enough. I pay £18 a month to SSE for phone and broadband, incl. LR.

Both of those speeds seemed to be fine for me - since I'm not habitually downloading mega gigabyte movies. I need stuff with information in it but I don't generally need to stream Huge Data Files.

There are still delays on connection though, these must be related to other factors as you say, it only takes one thing to delay connection, although the Internet is multi wired, multi pathway, if a server decides to do something else when you're trying to connect to it you'll just have to wait anyway.

If you want Netflix in super high definition then maybe the high speeds are necessary for you. For those that just want a bit of text or the odd file or two, what I have is fine - for me at least.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:44 pm 

You only theoretically need 25Mbps to stream Netflix in 4k.

I'm not one who says 'yarrrrr' but I do stream over Plex, which again takes no account of my raw down speed as it also relies on the source upload and overall traffic.

I did try a VPN recently as I see lots of things saying it is worthwhile. I got speeds as low as 1Mbps so blow that for a game of soldiers - cancelled pdq. No names.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:43 am 

My VPN doesn't slow me down that I notice although I do know that it will slow me down no mater where I say I am. I only use it for streaming purposes and it does a great job.

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:45 pm 

VM have irritated me. It doesn't take much what with me being a grumpy old git. Cracking internet speed (377 down 38 up just now) but the cost is getting stupid. This year they won't do a deal so Sky is the only real option for TV and BB, which would save me loads. Last time I had Sky (I tried it in 2016) they had sound dropout issues that they promised would be fixed in the next firmware release on the Q box. It never did and they cancelled the contract without any debate. I want to contact them by 'phone (preferably) but the only numbers I can find for Customer Support tell me my number isn't associated with an account and to call back on a recognised line. Then they hang up. How else can I find out if they have fixed this yet? I have searched and found people still complaining on the Sky and other AV forums. They really don't like people talking to them, or emailing. My daughter is going to ring on my behalf when she gets home from work.

I hope that made sense. Grumble over for now.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:56 pm 

Following on from above. I stuck with VM out of laziness. Several weeks ago, my Superhub 3 started occasionally resetting itself. Then it started doing it several times an hour, then stable for maybe nearly a day and then resetting again.

I rang them and they sent an engineer who renewed the connectors outside and in the house as these "are often the problem". No change. Next they sent a replacement hub. Not a new one, but one that "would work". No, the same frequent drop-outs still happened. Another engineer was dispatched who I was told would put a new hub 3 or 4 in. Saturday: He didn't. He repaired the damaged coax his pal had missed, said "try that" and it might be RF interference. An hour after he left it was dropping out again. I rang his mobile and he said he'd check back on Monday :roll:. I have moved the hub away from other electronic items to test his RF theory.

Very stressful. Nothing has changed before this started so I can't blame anything specific. I have been looking at Sky again. I need a 'phone number.

I have spoken to a lot of VM call centre staff. The Manchester people were all good. Of the Indians, one was barely intelligible but sent the replacement hub and the other was downright moronic so I hung up on him and rang again.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:51 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:06 pm 

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:17 pm 

^ Double mine, also on VM. I don't really need 380.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:31 pm 

Image[/url]

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:29 am 

I nipped out for a drive this morning. As I passed through several different coverage zones, I thought I'd see what speeds I was getting. Below are 5G and 4G (I didn't test 3G). The iPhone was hooked up to CarPlay and I was surprised how many 5G spots were detected which do not show on coverage maps. It must be getting line of sight to the faster service. I expect these figures would change depending on proximity to the mast and so on but does show 5G is quite a bit speedier.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:31 am 

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:13 pm 

I know that TalkTalk get a lot of bad press, but they've been ok for me.
When they upgraded me to fibre, free of charge, in January they said that it wouldn't affect my contract. I was paying £22.95 for BB and £7 for free 24/7 phone calls(a 50% discount which was due to expire this month).
So, I get an email last week saying that my BB will increase by £2.50. Hmmm...I'm on a fixed price contract until May of next year.
I give them a call, and to cut a long conversation short, I'm now paying £23.95 for BB plus £5 for the phone calls...for the next 2 years. £1 less than before. Result!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Couch