[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Starter SLR recommendations
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:33 am 

Can anyone recommend a decent camera, preferably SLR, with interchangeable lenses suitable for someone wanting to move up from a starter level digital camera? It's for a potential Christmas present. It'd be nice if the price wasn't over £250...

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:36 am 

I'm a complete novice in the DSLR camp, but love my Nikon D3000 I bought. Cost just over £300 about 6 months ago. Has great features to help a beginner understand what to do.

21.5" iMac running OS X El-Capitan with 20GB RAM
iPad Air 2 64Gb Silver iOS 8
Samsung Galaxy S6
Kindle Paperwhite
Nikon D3000; 10-20mm, 18-55mm, 55-300mm

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:34 am 

Canon EOS 450D. I've been using one for 18 months and it was well worth the extra expense....well over £250 I'm afraid but it's a quality product with a lot of features.

Some bargains here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital- ... 964&sr=8-1

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:12 pm 

Nikon D40x with 18-55mm kit lens can be had for around the £250-£275. I started with the D40 and it was a great introduction to the DSLR world.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:01 pm 

As essexdiver said ^^^^^

Or the new Nikon D3100 is supposed to be an excellent camera although is it a lot more than £250.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:55 pm 

Is there any point do you think in looking at the new 'in between' sector for cameras with interchangeable lenses in the 'super-compact' range? Like many of you I started with the Nikon D40 and it was great for the purpose, but they're hard to find now - although I did see the rather more highly specced D40x on sale somewhere.

I might even have a look at 35mm film cameras as these have all the right features usually but which one, and from which source? My lenses etc are Nikon so it would be nice (but not essential) to stick with the brand... heck, I learned on a manual only Zenith B 35mm camera years ago and that was very handy so any 'off the wall' suggestions would be welcome. I'm not really up to date with equipment these days.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:26 pm 

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:15 pm 

Don't know if you are considering used or not. B&H photo in New York City has a nice assortment of used equipment right now. Here is a link to that page on their website

I have bought many things from them over the years, including my Nikon D40. Their ratings for used stuff is well explained and quite accurate. They ship internationally and their shipping rates are reasonable.

As a side note: since you think a high percentages of us yanks are church goers... I thought I should tell you— the folks who own B&H are devout Jews. Even their website does not work on the Sabbath.

2 Mini 2.3GHz Core i5 OSX10.7 / MacPro 2GHz DC Xeon 5130 OSX10.7 10.4 & WindowsXP / MDD 1GHzDP OSX10.4 & OS 9.2 / iBook G4 1.2GHz OSX10.4 / 9600/300 PPC OS9.2 / iPod 20GB 3rd Gen / iPad Wi-Fi 16GB 1st Gen iOS5 / iPhone 4 GSM 16GB iOS7

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:46 pm 

I started with a Canon 350D. You can get them and the 400D quite cheaply on eBay now. Very capable cameras. I don't know if second hand is an issue though.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:48 pm 

Trying checking out these sites. We have used all of them at some point and have never been disappointed by them.
http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/
https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm
http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/
http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.uk/
As well as possibly looking at second hand cameras have a look at refurbs as well as they usually come with a years warranty.
I got a refurb Nikon D70 from Camera World a few years back that has taken over 20,000 photos to date and is still going strong and it only cost a fraction of the full retail price I paid for another D70.

Zopo ZP998 Mobile
Acer A1 8" Tablet
U2 iPod
G3 iMac

http://www.westonphotographics.co.uk
http://yvonnemarrs.wordpress.com (Wife's book site)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:06 am 

FE I'm looking at buying a 400 or 20 for my son, but I have to say I'm confused!! He is 11 so the smaller size seems a good idea as does the cleaning system, pixel count and age. People keep going on about the metal body, build quality, higher ISO etc of the 20D.

I have just bought a 60D for me which is plastic not metal but it seems good enough to me. He wants to connect it to his telescope, take pictures of our ponies and dogs as well as at the local Wildfowl Trust.

Any advice is gladly received, but it does have to be canon as he will be sharing my lenses.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:14 pm 

The 350D, 400D, 450D, 500D and 550D are all based on the same size body. I found the 350D a little too small for my hands but was the perfect "starter" SLR. I eventually upgraded to the 50D which is much easier to hold and is far better specced.

Newer models will invariably have better specs. I recommend you get your son to try each camera, after all he's the one going to be using it. After that, settle on whatever you can afford bearing in mind it'll always be superseded by a newer model!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:06 pm 

Cheers FE, he has been playing with my camera (I'm not allowed to as it's not my birthday until Friday) and seems to find that ok, we can stretch (just!) to a 30D that is in great nick from MPB Photographic, so I think we will go for that. It seems to be a similar size and weight to mine, we can't try it out (a Christmas surprise) so I feel happier with one as near to mine as possible.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:39 am 

Back in the days of film, cameras had a ring around the lens with which you could adjust the aperture, and a dial on top of the camera that had each of the available shutter speeds painted onto it with which you could vary the shutter speed accordingly. I miss that simplicity.

Does anyone know if there is a DSLR with such easy to use and understand controls available today?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:46 am 

The D3100 has a "Guide" mode which does exactly what it says. It guides the user through all the settings.

Board index » Couch