[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Talk Talk
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post subject: Talk Talk
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:39 pm 

Anybody use these for 'phone/broadband? Just had a letter from Virgin to tell me that they are dumping all of their non cable customers, and giving them to Talk Talk :x

Would appreciate any comments about them.

Post subject: Re: Talk Talk
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

I have business lines with them. Basically using BT equipment in that exchange, so for the saving they offer over BT, it's a no brainer.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:11 am 

Thanks, James. Feel free to move this to Couch, which is where I thought I'd posted it. :oops:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:08 pm 

I use TalkTalk. Their Support helpline is based in India which in itself is no bad thing, except the person you speak to insists on going through every line of a script involving you giving your full name, phone number, address, date of birth, etc, which can be frustrating.

Their sales team seems to be based in South Africa and you will get intermittent phone calls asking if "you're getting the best deal you can?" - these are usually an excuse to tie you down to a new contract, BUT YOU CAN HAGGLE!! I've got better deals by sounding hesitant or reluctant, and usually beat them down from an 18-month contract to 12-months for example.

Like many providers, they are prone to throttle back bandwidth during peak evening hours.

Generally though, they're far from the worst out there.

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:09 pm 

I just signed my mum up to Talktalk. 18 month at £16.70 for the phone and BB. I got her a sim deal with them too at £7.50 (half price) for 12 month. 700 mins, 2gig internet, unlimited text. Its just the minutes she'll use tho. Better than the £46 BT where charging her for the same thing.

Cant comment on how good they are as its not live yet.

Gary.

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:36 pm 

Thanks.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:20 pm 

Well Talktalk just canceled my mums contract before they even set it up. They never phoned, texted or emailed me to let me know. I phoned them as they where nearly 2 weeks over their time. 45 minutes to a guy from the Philippines only to be told BT canceled it. BT doesnt have the line, it went dead last week.

Worst customer services I have ever dealt with.

BT now giving her a good deal. Only with they done that last month.

Gary.

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:11 pm 

OK. Thanks, Gary.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:18 pm 

I got BT Fibre infinity 2 last year and it's been really good but I'm still tempted by VM as it's cheaper.

The downside with VM is the slower upload speeds compaired to BT.

BT also give me free BT sport ( not used as much as I expected ) 50 gig online storage. Convenient free wi-fi app for my mobile and a useless email.

VM downstream is very fast and I would go for the 100mb option if I sign up. I beleive VM charge £50 for initial set up/ router. Maybe if I haggled I could get set up/ router for free ? How does the VM router compare to the BT hub ?

Would I get any free storage, free wi-fi hotspots ,email etc with VM ? and are they any good ?

I am not interested in a landline or a TV package as I prefer PAYG.

I don't normally have much need for phone support but if the worst happens what is VM phone support like. Is it a low cost or free number and UK based ?

It will be around May if I decide to go through with the switch.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:33 pm 

I have been with Virgin since 1999 (in all its various incarnations) and have had less than five periods of downtime - with the most recent two in the last 12 months. Both fixed within about 12 hours.

Download speeds are rock solid, especially via ethernet on my iMac, upload is 'only' 6Mb (faster than some folks downloads). I would prefer a higher upload but Virgin concentrate on the download speeds - better headlines really.

Phone support can be poor as they always read off a script but since having a V+HD TV box nearly 5 years ago I haven't had to phone them very often.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:01 pm 

BBW, i've found that VM customer support to be good. I always get what I want lol. I phoned up one evening to complain that my download speeds where slow, the girl on the end of the phone done all she could to help me. She even took control of my iMac to do stuff. So no complaints from me there.

Neil, if you got someone to recommend you to VM, you get free fitting and they get £50 off their next bill. So if you have any family or friends with them.

I have the superhub 2. It broadcasts simultaneously on both the 2.5 and 5 ghz. I find it does my needs. Its in the basement and my son in the attic can get a reception. Also, as you rent the equipment, if there is a fault, they fix it for free (unlike sky). Contacting VM is free if you have a phone line with them, just dial 150 or 151.

I'm on the 152mb package and regularly get oner 157mb.

Just done this at 16.05 so not a bad speed and upload speed of 12mb.

Gary.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:09 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:15 pm 

TalkTalk are shite always have been.

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:18 pm 

Board index » Couch