[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Car shopping.. German engines?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:32 pm 

Im in the position where I need to replace the family car and fortunately business is such that I can afford to lease a car though my company.

I've been looking at Audi, who have a new A4 launching in 2 weeks and therefore have some really tasty incentives if I pre-order. The question I have is over the engine. The corporate sales manager has done everything in his power to push me towards audi's new 1.4 petrol rather than the 1.9 diesel, waving figures of equal power (both 150ps) almost identical 0-62 figures, better economy etc etc etc.. but despite all of that I can't help thinking that regardless of the figures, a 1.4 in a big family saloon is going to be completely gutless & he's only pushing it because the 1.9 diesel is the same engine that VW are struggling with.

I can't test drive either the petrol or diesel unit until the car's launched, by which point I'll have lost the pre-launch offer. At the same time I don't want to pre-order a car I've never seen or driven.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:37 pm 

I would have thought you could nip to a dealer and have a go in a similar car. I had a 1.6 diesel A3 and that was more than capable.

My Qashqai has a 1.5 diesel and has enough power (I'm not a Clarkson). Engine technology has come on loads. Except for VAG emissions cheating (maybe Nissan do but we'll see).

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:42 pm 

The problem (as I'm lead to believe it) is that this 1.4 petrol engine is being launched with the car and is unique to the Audi group so there isn't one to test drive.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:06 pm 

When you say lease I take it you mean a business lease rather than a Personal Contract Purchase?
If so you are responsible for the residual value of the vehicle at the end of the lease and there will be a final payment. Diesel cars generally have a higher residual value and therefore the lease cost should be less though this is offset by the premium price you pay for a diesel engine. If total cost of ownership is important you should do some work around anticipated mileage and likely residual value.

Secondly VWG sales have dropped by around 10% since the emission scandal broke and dealers will be doing anything they can to hold onto sales including offering 'deals' that are only available if you sign right now. That's rubbish. Buying a car is a game - walk away from the dealer and tell him that you you will make up your mind when you've driven the car and you expect the same deal then. You will find the same or better deal elsewhere. The dealership will have a volume and finance target and will need every customer they can lay their hands on. If they want your business, and they do, they will ring you back. Dealers make a lot of commission from finance sales, often in the £000s. They will be looking at you and thinking ££££. Your task is to make it ££.

Apple TV4
AirPods
plus several other Macs around the house

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:38 am 

SWMBO drives an A1 with a 120bhp 1.4 petrol engine. I expect the model you are looking at is a development of this unit.
When I was a boy, 100 bhp per litre was considered a reasonably sporty performance. I cite my late lamented 2000cc Dolomite Sprint @ 126bhp. 150 horses from a 1.4 being reliably attainable in a modern day engine is then quite something, maybe twin turbo? Anyway it sounds amusing and you will be an early adopter with the safety net of manufacturer warranty. Shame it is so horrible on the roads these days.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:13 am 

Smaller engines are now giving more power but in heavier cars.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:17 am 

I've just ordered a new Ford Focus Estate 1.0L 125hp Petrol Titanium with the convenience pack. My present car is a Ford Focus Estate 1.5L 125hp Diesel. The new one is as powerful as the old, but with better economy.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:43 pm 

We bought a Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost 18 months ago. Its performance is very respectable and not too far short of what we were used to from the Puma it replaced. And the Road Trip app confirms it has returned an average of 43mpg over that 18 months.

Also, while we have no clue as to where the car was assembled, the engine carries a label telling us it was made in Cologne. So a German engine then... :D

Edit: Thanks to Davesoa for taking the trouble to post that sound, detailed advice. :tu:

Edit No 2: No road tax on our Fiesta - it was £220 a year on the Puma :shock:

Board index » Couch