[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Sharing Broadband: Potential Problem?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:51 pm 

If I share my broadband with an impoverished neighbour by giving her the password to my router and she watches live television on it and is somehow detected, am I liable for the fine for her not having a TV licence?

I want to help but I don't want to appear in court!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:18 pm 

It doesn't sound like a great idea. You won't know what they are downloading. You could well be liable for that. I wouldn't share myself. I'm not sure how she could watch live TV through a router. Isn't that more fr catch-up style viewing?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:29 pm 

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:44 pm 

Isn't TV catchup what it says? Catching up on TV after broadcast? That isn't live. I'm sure there's some streaming sites out there.

Either way, I still wouldn't share. There's a lot could be added to the browsing history your ISP logs.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:47 pm 

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

As good as last live anyway. It's not allowed to be totally live, it's usually 30 seconds plus delayed to get around the legal issues.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:55 pm 

I've not heard of that. However, I get enough through TiVo, Plex shares and the occasional Netflix for my needs. Still, you learn something now and again.

If she is watching live programme streaming then she will need a TV license. Whether they can trace it, well that's a risk for you to weigh up. You may also find your ISP has a "no share" clause. Streaming will eat a data allowance if applicable. OK, that's all I have to add.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:34 pm 

Lots of ISPs are currently offering very cheap deals ranging from a ridiculously low £3 a month - less than a decent sandwich - to free for X months. There's really no excuse for not having your own broadband, I mean who can't afford £3 a month?!

I wouldn't share mine, it opens up all sorts of legal issues if they downloaded dodgy files or exceeded your monthly allowance. Up to you, of course!

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:34 am 

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:10 pm 

You will not only be sharing your Internet connection, but also your entire Local Area Network, if you give her your wi-fi password.

If you have File and/or Printer/Media sharing enabled on your computers and other devices on your network, your neighbour will be able to see them, and (if they're not password protected) access them too.

You will also be able to see (and maybe access) HER devices.

Bad idea on so many levels.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:55 pm 

Thanks everybody. Now how do I break it to her.......? She's a very nice lady working for a children's charity on a low wage!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

If you do want to be generous, you could set up a guest network, but that would involve some cost to your self for another router, unless you have a spare wifi access point hanging around.
At least that way you could cut each other off from each other, however, it can be rather technical to set up, not recommended for you Julian.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:47 pm 

It's Christmas and Santa's on his way
Surly one of you good Boys & Girls on here could find an old router you have knocking about for Julian's dilemma.

Once he has the router then the forum could talk him through the process of setting it up, or as (it's Christmas & the season of goodwill an all) a kindly person could may be visit that lives close by to help him set it up.

Don't make him feel all bad and :oops: by telling her no Joy at this time of year.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:01 pm 

Thank you Herodotus. As it happens I have an old BT router knocking about in my filing cabinet as they just upgraded me!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

That won't be any good, you need a 3rd party wifi access point really, ideally one with a WAN in to keep the networks separate.
However, as you are with BT, does she have access to BT Fon wifi? This is available as default on BT routers as a guest network, so if she can use FON, that would work without anymore set up.

Board index » Couch