[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Lego!
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post subject: Lego!
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:47 pm 

Hi guys...

Ok. I'm not going to lie, I am 34, and I do still play with Lego. There, I've said it :shock: :roll:

Now I'm at an age where pocket money and weeks of saving is no longer an issue (to a degree anyway :lol:), I'm in the process of trying to complete the ranges that I adored when I was younger. I've still got every single Lego set from my first introduction to it in the mid 80's, plus the sets I added over the following years and I have amassed quite a collection. I don't have boxes unfortunately, but I do have all original instructions and I have painstakingly sourced/had new stickers made for the proper vintage sets.... (Cue embarrassing childhood photo [I'm the one on the left...]):

Unfortunately Lego has reached an all time high on eBay and Facebook selling pages r.e. prices. This does hack me off a little, because I have seen within the last year lots of Lego go up in price and being sold by people who just want to make money on it. It's the same with anything I guess, but it's gotten ridiculous. As the year has gone on, I've slowly come to the realisation that unless I manage to get lucky at a car boot, my Lego collecting is going to have to stop (well, not stop but is going to become infinitely harder to finance), and I'm so close to completing some sets, but I just cannot compete with eBay prices. Further to that, the new fashion is to sell by the kg, and the going rate for 1kg of clean sorted Lego can cost anywhere between £15 and £35 (Star Wars stuff can go for more). So, as this is the way it's going, sets are being broken up for weight, and thus it's getting harder to get complete sets from the era I'm looking at. What I'm doing is using a website called 'Bricklink', and if you have the set number, you can input it and download the inventory for that set. Thats how I'm completing sets at the moment: buying loose or mixed job-lots (by colour usually) and going through the inventories and picking out the parts for sets I need. Then, I'll either sell the leftovers on myself or keep if there isn't much leftover. This is a painstaking process and (becoming an) expensive process that I can't keep up. It's not too bad when you have only one or two models from a range, but when you're down to the last model, it starts to get tricky as you tend to build/complete the easier sets first.

So, with this in mind, I'm putting out a Mac4Mac request... Does anybody have any late 80's or early 90's Lego in their loft collecting dust that they'd be happy to sell? I'm not on the scrounge so aren't expecting freebies at all, but my funding for this will be fairly limited: or to put it this way, not on a par with eBay...

I'm not looking for complete sets, anything incomplete or boxes of mixed Lego with instructions etc etc. I'm looking for specific ranges which I'll attach images of below, but will consider anything (pictures would be good so I can get a rough idea as to whether it's a lot I should go for or not).

I am a collector, and I'm not looking to buy and sell on to make money-I genuinely want to complete my sets from my youth. If you click my Flickr button in my signature it'll take you to my albums, and you'll see my collections. I am looking to complete the medieval sets but these aren't as high on my list: but I'd still not say no! Even if you had duplicates of sets I already have, I'd still consider as the parts could be used elsewhere.

Anyway, enough yapping: these are the ranges I'm looking to complete: I'm looking for anything within those ranges, so if you have anything that looks like that kind of stuff, or even if the colours ring a bell, let me know....:

M:Tron:

Blacktron:

Ice Planet:

Space Police II:

A bit of a long shot I know: some may even think I'm taking the p*ss to be honest, but I figured if you don't ask, you don't know!

Dan

Post subject: Re: Lego!
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:55 pm 

Good for you Daniel. I can't help I'm afraid, but I loved Lego when I was little, and I'll still play with it now if I go to a house where there's some laying around. I can still remember my red London bus from the 70's, it sat on my bedroom window ledge for years.

White MacBook late 2007 - Snow Leopard iPhone 7 IPod Touch 2 Gen. iPad 6 Gen.
Nikon D5600 on

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:21 pm 

I was in the Lego store in Manchester Arndale the other day to get a set for my niece for Christmas and was astounded by the prices of some of the sets in there - upwards of £300-400! Needless to say, my niece wasn't going to get one at that price, she's into the Lego Friends sets which are luckily a lot cheaper - phew!

Next year though, who knows?!

PS: you're never too old for Lego

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:40 pm 

Crazy Lego fact:

It should be; 'miniature tyre' I suppose.

:)

Your warning level: [ 1 ]

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:18 pm 

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:09 pm 

*throws bombshell*

And the plural of Lego is????

*and now runs off*

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

There is no plural, it's just Lego, like sheep. Whoever says looks at all those sheeps? Same with Lego USA! :P

I've had what was called Technical Lego when I was a kid, huge cars and tractors with fully working parts, great fun. Still got it.
It has been known for me to spend a few hours with our son messing about with lego.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:49 pm 

There IS a plural of Lego.... it's Lego!!!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:38 pm 

Haha! It is a mullet, every photo I looked at it, it was a sigh as all the cuts looked bloody awful! I have no mullet now though I hasten to add!

Yes, plural of Lego indeed BBW... :evil: :lol:

I've still got some Technic Lego, but my heart belongs to the really childish stuff :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:02 pm 

The kids would often leave a brick on the floor for me to step on. Little barstewards.

When I was a kid, I had Betta Builda. A cheap British similar-but-incompatible interlocking block system that Airfix put out. I was dead jealous of my pals and their Lego.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:10 am 

I was brought up on betta Buidla as well. Those white bricks never locked together very well and I remember resorting to Evo Stick at some point.

I never got used to the Lego 'sets' I used to buy for my kids, where you can only make what is on the box picture. If you lose a part you are stuffed.

I am designing a couple of Toy Fair exhibition stands for the company and with the price of the kit it's easy to guess that they are the most lucrative Toy manufacture.

I think it has been here before:

'If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people'
Tony Benn

l l

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:10 pm 

I've got quite a lot of space Lego kicking about but none of those ranges shown.

From what I can remember I've got:

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:48 pm 

Ooh, I have that bottom spaceship too. I loved Lego as a kid. In fact, I got a Star Wars Lego Advent Calendar this Christmas...I'm 42 this year! :D

Board index » Couch