[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Reading an English Author
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:11 pm 

I'm sure you all have heard of Ken Follett. I Like his books and what he writes.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:06 pm 

This topic is more appropriate for the Couch sub-forum.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:28 pm 

Thanks for the recommendation. As an aside, apparently Ken Follett is Welsh, not English - our fault for making our nation so complicated. Although it looks as though we are removing 'European' from the options...

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:14 pm 

"...our fault for making our nation so complicated."
Not to worry; it's going to be simplified in the near future - with the loss of Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:35 pm 

Why does this say "moved" yet it's still in 'General' so I clicked on it thinking it had been moved TO General?

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:38 am 

I've moved it to Couch but left a ghost topic to link to it. It's so you can see it's been moved.

If you click on the one in General it takes you to the actual topic in Couch.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:50 am 

.. but we will always be European as that is the continent we live on.

Cbbob, have you read any Lee Child ? I read one than had to read the rest of his work.

'If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people'
Tony Benn

l l

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:14 pm 

Sorry, I did not ever read Lee Child will have to look into it

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:24 pm 

".. but we will always be European as that is the continent we live on."
Well, actually you don't - live on the continent.
Which is, I believe, a significant part of the whole issue.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:08 pm 

I beg to differ. Unless they have created an 8th continent since I left school !

Actually, Europe and Asia are now one continent :o

You could argue that the Middle east and Africa are the same land mass as well, which would bring it down to 5 in total.

Do we need a referendum to leave Asia as well ?

Tony Benn

l l

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:40 pm 

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:36 pm 

Balearics!

Never mind the Balearics!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:52 am 

“…Corsica, Sardinia, Cyprus, Sicily, Malta are all islands in the continent of Europe, but the British Isles aren’t?”
Correct.

The World According to Ramps**
1. FACT: The above-mentioned islands - more-or-less - do indeed lie in (“within”) the continent of Europe. Including the Balearics!
2. FACT: The British Isles do not lie on the continent of Europe.

This statement - in-and-of itself - has no particular importance. Except that Mike Smith made this statement:
“.. but we will always be European as that is the continent we live on.”

My comment:
“Well, actually you don't - live on the continent. Which is, I believe, a significant part of the whole issue.”
refers to my
3. OPINION: Many citizens of the British Isles do not fully accept that they are part of Europe - and like it that way. They wish to “maintain a distance” from Europe (“the Continent”). This is aided and abetted by the fact that there is, in fact, a body of water separating the British Isles from the continent of Europe - upon which it does not lie.

** ”Ramps”: an affectionate - or disparaging - nickname used by some forum members to refer to yours truly. I’ve never figured out which - and am, quite frankly, afraid to ask.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:36 pm 

Ok so we live 'ON' an island which is part of the continent called Europe.

It doesn't matter if half of the population don't want to live on planet earth, they still do 8-)

Tony Benn

l l

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:34 pm 

I don't give a rat's buttocks about geography.

You completely miss the/my point:
My posts have more (translation: everything) to do with what I perceive as the British attitude/mentality towards Europe - and not with geography.

I'm talking geography - only as it reinforces a concept/opinion: The British people - to some extent - see themselves as separate from Europe. And wish it that way.
This is particularly relevant at this time.

Board index » Couch