[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Casual Games
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post subject: Casual Games
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:35 pm 

Apple only bundle Chess into OS X and the App Store bulges with game clones. Coming from Windows, where you got a few bundled in (probably not in Win10), I'd like a few casual games on my MBPr for the times when I just need a short distraction. Preferably free, but as I have learned, free often means a bit poo, e.g. 2048. I have tried Spider (solitaire) by Byterun, but that is in the not very good category and will be deleted. It just goes to show that where there are a few reviews the top ones must be by the author's mother, while the rubbish ones look like they are from rivals... or they are true. This makes picking a winner a chore. I am happy to pay a nominal sum for something worthwhile but again, there are many clones with similar reviews.

Any recommendations? I'm sure you people are mostly real. I know you have opinions ;)

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Casual Games
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:25 pm 

These are three games I have

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:26 pm 

Solitaire

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:05 pm 

BubbleShooter. (Free online) I'm semi-addicted to this. http://absolutist.com/online/bubble-shooter

I zoom to make it fill the screen, and you have to be pretty accurate where you point if you want success. Pay attention to which bubble is coming next, and consider turning the volume to 0! Cushion shots can be made.

Allenroids http://myplace.frontier.com/~allen.m.smith/Allenroids/

Another freebie, and very well implemented, although getting beyond level 10 is quite hard! It gets too hard too quickly in my opinion, but getting to level five is pretty straightforward once you've got the hang of it. It's permanently in my dock.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:43 am 

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I just now got the Full Deck Solitaire but have not played it yet. I did have one of those Remove'em style games (not that one) but got bored... and couldn't win :lol:

I play a Bubble Spinner in-browser game (). Some days I suck and others I can do no wrong. It depends how the bubbles are linked.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:48 pm 

It is possible to win Bubbleshooter, I tried the one you linked to and it's infernally difficult and irritating. This one is static and requires skill and judgement. It rewards precise aiming and I complete it about 9 out of 10 times, sometimes it's easier than other times, depending on the randomised positioning of the balls. And I try to win with a score of under 100,000. I think that means I've done it efficiently - so it keeps my interest. Planning, strategy and observation are very important.

They've updated it since and not for the better. However I had saved the webpage so I don't have to be online to do it and it's the older version which I prefer, I keep a bookmark to it in my Safari favourites. Here is a link to download it if you're interested - save it somewhere handy, run it from there.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:03 pm 

I had a quick go of that bubble shooter and managed 75230. I have no idea what is OK. It gets silly towards the end.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:05 pm 

Did you clear the board? You need to master the angles.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:26 pm 

No. Nearly, but it kept throwing colours that I didn't want. It was just a first game to give it a go.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:54 pm 

I had Peggle and Peggle Nights on my Win7 PC. Both obtained legally but no idea where from these days. I got them both again as a bundle from Steam for the price of just one of them in the App Store. There's lots of hours can be wasted in them.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:52 pm 

I recently got an iOS game that I'm liking on my iPad. Gunpowder from Rogue Rocket Games (I have no connection to them). I got it free a couple of weeks ago and today it says it is "free for 2 days" in the App Store. Set up gunpowder trails and barrels to blow up things in a logical order. Can't beat free. Sorry if I have misled anyone with price misinformation. There are in-App purchases but I seem to have loads and loads of levels included. I'll not buy any more if prompted ;)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:12 pm 

I know this thread is four months cold but I thought I'd say that last week my sons shared their Steam libraries with me. Plenty of Mac versions in with the obvious Windows stuff. There's games I'm not interested in but loads of others. That will keep me going for a while. I just finished Kelvin and the Infamous Machine. I like a cartoon style adventure as per the Lucasarts games. I had to have a couple of hints but I won't tell if you don't.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:48 pm 

You might like this: if your'e still after a fun filled evening of low tech war games

Your warning level: [ 1 ]

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:22 am 

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:59 pm 

27th March - Monument Valley 2 is free from the iOS App Store today. I very much liked the original and grabbed this.

Board index » Couch