[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Raspberry Pi & RetroPie: anyone using?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:00 pm 

Hi guys,

As per the title really. I'm just doing a bit of research at the moment as this is the route I think I'm going to take for retro gaming; prices for retro hardware and carts are going up and up and I just don't have deep enough pockets!

Am looking for a bit of feedback on simplicity of setup, day-to-day use etc.

Any feedback welcomed!
Dan

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:11 am 

One of my lads bought a Pi and loaded it with an alternative OS that allows him to play old games. As I recall, there were some SNES ones in the mix. He brought it with him on his last visit but we didn't have a lot of time and he lives several hundreds of miles away. I'll ask him later what OS etc. he has. A bit early to get him right now.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:41 am 

His Pi runs an OS called RetroPi which has the emulators inbuilt, but no ROMs. You can get free ROMs from a site emuparadise (I'll let you find a link - either a .com or .org he thinks). He says there is a similar site that charges (or I misunderstood). I won't comment on the legality of such ROMs, because I don't know.

He has a small Bluetooth keyboard linked in. I don't know about other hardware.

I hope that is enough to get your research started.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:40 am 

Thanks very much for that info.

Retropie was the software that piqued my interest in the first place. I've seen a lot about the Raspberry Pi, and it has always intrigued me but I've never had a real reason to investigate it. My love of retro gaming sadly carries a hefty price tag, with some SNES carts (not even with boxes) selling for around £50+; some with boxes or the rarer titles weigh in at £100 plus. The idea of me reinstating my SNES so I could collect some carts and play the games I couldn't afford when I was younger. Unfortunately that is still the case :lol: I've seen it also runs an Amiga emulator which is good, I loved my Amiga 1200 and out of all the consoles/computers I've owned, selling that was my biggest regret. Games were never an issue as piracy was rife, but I had equally as many big-box titles.

After spending some time on the Retropie forum, I ordered a kit yesterday which has everything I need to get me started. The only issue was the memory card. The bundle offered an 8GB or a 16GB, neither of which are really big enough (well, the latter may be but leaves no room for experimentation). So I ordered a Samsung 32GB SD from eBay for £7.49, the whole lot weighing in at £59.98. All the software is free and there is a Mac version of the Retropie installer so that shouldn't be too difficult to do. There are other add-ons that I will need at a later date, but what I have ordered is enough to get me started. I already have a SNES USB pad so once the software is installed I'll be good to go. .

ROMS; a very grey area. I already have Open EMU installed on my Mac, so have ROMS for all the cars I own, so thats enough to get me started ;) I did try streaming the Emulator from my Mac to my ATV, but although it was ok for the first few minutes, it became very laggy very quickly.

As long as it is as straight forward , then this should be a win. Costs as much as one expensive SNES cart but lets me play most retro emulators on the market.

Board index » Couch