[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - The heat is on and on and on
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:19 am 

My heating is on. Permanently. Has been for two days. The Honeywell 7 day programme thermostat gives a temperature of C22. I've turned it to 'off' but the heating is still on. Dead thermostat? Stuck valve? Anything I can hit with a hammer?

Any ideas what it might be? I can go to Screwfix and get a replacement thermostat this morning and it should go straight onto the back plate. Or is this time to call a plumber?

Apple TV4
AirPods
plus several other Macs around the house

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:28 am 

Weird coincidence? A couple of weeks ago we had the same problem. Resetting the timer to 'all off' and turning the room stat down to minimum made no difference. In the end I flicked the switch next the timer, which halted everything. Left it until we were getting too cold and switched it back on. Since then it has worked perfectly. The boiler is only two years old and was serviced in November, so we were pretty certain it wasn't the problem.

However, I put a post on the UK Plumbers forum - I've used it before and they are very helpful.

Here's a

Hope it's some help.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:21 am 

That sounds exactly the same fault. I've done the same as you following your fix and turned everything off along with boiler. I'll put it all on again later today - fortunately it's reasonably mild today.

We had the boiler serviced in November too and the hot water programme is fine.

Thanks.

Apple TV4
AirPods

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:31 am 

Those Honeywell 7-day programmers do not last for ever in my experience. I am on my third one in as many years.

Also, the thermostat can fail to send its signal to the receiver if the batteries are not regularly replaced and correctly inserted.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Moved to Couch as clearly not related to Apple gear.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:35 am 

You're very welcome.

Quite springlike here too - a nearby tree has blossom on it already :tu:

@Klaus - As far as we know the timer is the original. House was built in '97 (we moved here i 2014) and the timer is not listed on Honeywell's site, except as telling us the backplate will take a later timer. There was a mention of a battery, but I could not find any info about where it is and there is no obvious battery "door"...

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:59 am 

Taking the battery out. I did that as well. It was hidden in the thermostat and I needed to download the manual to find out where it was. Ours is 10 years old and wired.

Apple TV4
AirPods

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:05 pm 

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:18 pm 

And for an update. After turning off the power to the boiler and thermostat and pulling the battery pack out for several hours I started it back up and...no change.

So I turned it all off, took the battery pack out and also disconnected the thermostat head completely. And...that seems to have done the trick (so far).

Thanks Highmac.

Apple TV4
AirPods

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:58 am 

If in doubt, turn it off and on again!! :-D

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:14 am 

Spoke too soon. On again this morning. Time for the plumbers. And a big bill.

Apple TV4
AirPods

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:28 pm 

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:06 pm 

Hello. Well after hounding a number of local plumbers one has said he will have a look later today. Do they not want work these days? And I've lost tiles from the roof in the gales. There's another story (no pun intended).

Edit: apparently it's a failed spring actuator. Probably. I have no idea what that is but the plumber has ordered a new one.

Apple TV4
AirPods

Board index » Couch