[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Lost photos: data recovery for Compact Flash - advice please
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:45 pm 

Photo recovery from compact flash help needed, please.

I know there are several photographers participating here, and I’m hoping someone has an idea about this.

We recently returned from Japan (again).

One night when I was downloading photos to my NEXTO photo storage HD, we noticed that the first 160 photos from that day - on one of our Sandisk 2GB CF cards - just disappeared. It’s too difficult to hit the camera's delete button, which then asks for confirmation for each photo you want to delete, so I’m sure we’d know if that’s what happened - which is to say, we have no idea what happened but we know we didn't delete them ourselves. Unfortunately we didn’t stop using the card until the end of the day and another 180 photos - when we discovered the problem, by which time the first 160 photos had probably been overwritten.

We didn’t use the card again until we got home so I could sort out the problem. (I should say the card has been through many trips (maybe 5 or more) and on each trip has probably been used for about 7000 photos.

I downloaded and tried data recovery software.
I tried this one because it was free for 2GB or less of data, and did a simple and a “deep” scan:
https://www.easeus.com/mac/mac-data-recovery/

This brought back lots and lots of random older photos - back to our autumn 2017 and spring 2017 trips and before. Unfortunately, none of the lost photos were recovered. But the software did recover 2.17GB of photos - so I suspect I’m seeing and accessing all that I can get.

So, is it worth it to download other data recovery options and trying again - or am I done?

And, should we trash this card?
Contact Sandisk? For what purpose (the card is not new so I’m sure they won’t offer a replacement)?

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
PowerBook 170, (System 7.5) Works
iPod classic 160GB
2 Dell netbook hacks (10.6.7)
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead
G3 iBook (Tiger) Stiction Dead HD
MacPlus (System?) Too cute but dead

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:35 pm 

Have PM'd you

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:38 pm 

Might try this...

https://macosxfilerecovery.com

Or...

https://www.minitool.com/photo-recovery ... overy.html

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:15 pm 

You might have better luck with the other software suggested here, but I doubt it.

A professional recovery service might have better luck but that might be a bit on the expensive side.

Either way, there's no way I'd trust that card again. Buy another.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:15 pm 

Sounds like you got a fake CF card - labelled with a bigger capacity than it actually holds.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:54 pm 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:55 pm 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:03 pm 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Last edited by Mrs H on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:06 pm 

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:07 pm 

Thank you all!! I'll report back with what the outcome of this is once I try some other software options. I'm not hopeful, but perhaps it will work out OK....

iMac (El Cap)
MacBook Pro (El Cap)
iPhone 6s
MBP (El Cap) [Mr H's]
iPod classic 160GB
G4 Dual 450 (Tiger) Dead

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:59 am 

If as you say you've recovered just over 2 GB from a card which is supposed to be 2 GB in size, you can hardly expect anything else. If you have lost images it seems they were never saved properly on the card in the first place, or overwritten in error, which implies to me that your camera may have had a glitch, or the card's disk directory is a little mangled, but exactly what happened may never be understood.

You can't expect more data off a card than the size of the card!

Perhaps the camera has a fault, temporary or permanent. Perhaps it's the card itself but I think that is less likely. Who knows? Keep a close eye on the behaviour of the camera.

You should erase it after having downloaded the contents, each time before re-use, that would be my SOP (Standard Operating Procedure). Do it with the Mac, or perhaps with the camera if it actually fully deletes the directory and doesn't just reuse it, time and again - if you can't do it with the Mac. Then at least the camera will have the full space to work with again and you shouldn't ever see old photos appear from months ago - (except via data recovery software). I wouldn't do a full deep erase, just do a quick simple erase which clears the directory of the card and leaves you with a fresh blank (uncomplicated) directory. That ought to be quite sufficient.

Regarding how much space is actually reported on a 2GB card, there may be a discrepancy in what you see and what is published because of different ways of describing data size, and some of the storage space is unavailable for data since it is used for the disk directory.

Two different mathematical systems are used to define how much information can be stored on the hard disk drive of your computer: binary or base-2 maths and decimal or base-10 maths.

The binary or base-2 system is used by the operating system, 1 gigabyte (GB) = 1,073,741,824 bytes.
In the base-10 system used by hard disk drive manufacturers, 1 gigabyte (GB) = 1,000,000,000 bytes.

1 kilobyte (KB) 1,024 bytes
1 megabyte (MB) 1,048,576 bytes
1 gigabyte (GB) 1,073,741,824 bytes
1 terabyte (TB) 1,099,511,627,776 bytes
1 petabyte (PB) 1,125,899,906,842,624 bytes

ergo 2 GB = 2,147,483,648 actual Bytes

Anyway good luck Mrs H.

Board index » Couch