[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - UK ~ GB and NI and the EU (part 2)
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

In - Out - or Still Undecided
Poll ended at Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:45 pm
Remain in the EU 73%  73%  [ 16 ]
Leave the EU 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
Undecided 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:56 pm 

It wasn't taken as an affront at all.

Also we can't offer something singularly that no other state can offer. Why do we need them other than strength in numbers, which is crap really as we already have that safety/strength in NATO.

Below is a few things that we do offer that helps the EU more than the EU helps us.

We supply vital security, yes I know other do that as well but do we not have one of the best security forces in the world. We have stability that Italy, Greece, Ireland (plus others) don't have. We pay in 13% of the EU revenue. Of the 28 countries only France and Germany pay in more. That will be one massive black hole. We are one of the world’s biggest financial centres, that will not change. We can control immigration ourselves. This does not mean less immigration but we can vet more people coming in.

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:59 pm 

Here are the world's top seven economies, according to the 2017 IMF forecast:

U.S. - $19.4 trillion.
China - $11.9 trillion.
Japan - $4.9 trillion.
Germany - $3.7 trillion.
France - $2.575 trillion.
U.K. - $2.565 trillion.
India - $2.4 trillion.

Again, only France and Germany are in there. Why do we need another 24 countries taking hand outs from us.

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:09 pm 

Thanks, but I think even then USA is not going to remain a big financial center forever.

And on Nato, why is the USA paying into it, seems Europe is far away?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:36 pm 

NATO isn’t an European thing. It’s nations with the same goal ie peace. Does it work, well like you say the USA is getting fed up oaying the most. The UK pays the 2nd highest into NATO.

You say USA won’t remain a financial super power for ever. What chance would the EU have then with 28 countries that all speak different languages.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:48 pm 

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:06 pm 

cd, precisely, my thoughts are we all need to stick together.

Paw, let's se, who's out there in the middle of the north Atlantic? AHA, Iceland, we'll control them on this side, you guys protect on the other side! :D

Just kidding around, I believe the USA should pay more of NATO's costs, 1st of all we can, second of all, keeping NATO's adversaries far away is of more benefit to the USA than not doing it.

Should a Billionaire pay more taxes to protect their bigger interests, or should their defence be left to homeless people paying more taxes?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:19 pm 

From way over here, I can see and understand why a little island would get cheesed off when it is for ever being told by another 27 countries(?) how to act and what to pay when they (the 27) can barely keep their economic heads above water. But, (takes a breath) the real sticky bit is the open boarder on that littler island off to your west. May I suggest that, instead of "crying and taking the ball home" you pull up your socks and try to improve the other 27 with fine leadership. Have you tried being a mouse living beside a (blankety blank) elephant? there is a phrase for that, isn't there?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:57 pm 

Being a little drunk I better not say much lol. I just believe we would be better on our own. That’s not to say we can’t trade with the EU and the rest of the world. I don’t think people will stop buying the the way they do now. Ask yourself, when you buy something on the internet, do you look to see where it came from. My son buys a lot from the USA,yep sometimes there is a charge, he buys from China, never a charge. Will he stop buying from these places m, no. Will he stop buying from the EU, no. Will they stop buying from us ?

Think about it, if the EU can’t come to a reasonable deal on trade and it becomes more expensive to buy stuff from the EU, will that not open up a market for home grown/manufactured goods meaning more jobs in the UK. Would Rover still be in existence if they where cheaper to buy than the EU imported cars? Who knows but I do know that we buy a lot of European manufacturered cars now but they never bought our cars. Would you buy a Citroen at 15k or a rover equivalent for 12k? Would you buy french wine at £8 a bottle or an Australian/English win @ £5. Witherspoons are already deleting EU items from their inventory and replacing them with non EU equipment items.

Does it matter if that German lock you used to buy at £10 now costs £15 if you can buy an American equivalent for £10? Do you thing BMW or Mercedes will be happy at the EU (let’s be honest when we say EU we mean Germany) will be happy at loosing its 2nd biggest market in Europe.

Will you loose sleep over a qualified African doctor moving to the UK over an unimployable Hungarian person? I for one won’t. I’m not against immigration as long as the imagrints have a qualified profession. We can’t stop unemployable layabout from EU states settling in the UK and enjoying benefits that the hard workers are paying for.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:28 pm 

cd, considering, you're doing pretty good! :)

Now I wondering if you think the EU would be stronger with the UK or without it?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:22 am 

My opinion is that the EU has got out of control. When it started as a free trade between the common market countries that was a good idea, but it’s got out of control in my opinion.

Can someone tell me what benefit to the UK it is bailing out Greece, Spain, Ireland, Cyprus, Portugal. If we where not in the EU then our money would not be bailing them out. If they where not in the EU then they would be able do do other things to fix their economy (print more money. This would devalue their currency. But they have to do as they are told when they go to Germany with the begging bowl.

I read that the reason France didn’t want us in the EU in the 70s was because they where the biggest economy and didn’t want the UK to take over. As a sweetener the UK started to teach French in schools.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:19 pm 

Can I also add that yes it can be good to have free movement, but a big problem for British is our ignorance with foreign languages. Its all well us being able to travel, but the vast majority of the British born population cant speak a 2nd language (about a third). This can hold us back from moving to a non English speaking country, but the vast population of the EU countries (especially the young) can speak English. This benefits the rest more than it benefits the UK.

Remember, my parents retired to Spain in 1999, so being part of the EU did help them. My mother still believes in remaining but sadly my dad passed away 4 years ago, so don't know how he would have voted.

I am all for everyone having different opinions, but please please please don't fall out with you friends and family over this. I meant if I can put up with my sons girlfriend supporting Celtic, then I can stay friends with anyone :shock: :D :lol: :tu:

Gary.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:03 pm 

Thanks for your views, quite interesting to get different views in a discussion, rather than in an argument... where I don't think anybody has ever learned anything other than how to treat black eyes. :)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:28 pm 

8-)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:24 pm 

Your warning level: [ 1 ]

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:39 pm 

We have stagnated in the EU. We seem to be as good as we are going to be. Why not leave and see where that takes us, we might be worse we might be better. The human race is all about pushing forward, trying new things to make our lives better. Are the EU countries any better of then the non EU countries. When you look at the bigger picture, only 3 EU countries are up there. May be we should just have a UK, Germany, France pact.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

Board index » Couch