[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - For the older rockers among us.... but all welcome
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:26 pm 

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:30 pm 

Regarding TOTP, Top of the Pops on the BBC, yes I agree with you a lot of it is fairly rubbish and they repeat a lot of those. They keep coming back. It's okay if you want to catch a performance by a particular group but much of it is mediocre I agree. And mimed. And the same performances by the same groups keep being shown again and again. Some of it is good, okay. Most of it I was not interested in anyway, even then.

I stopped listening to Top of the Pops around about 1975. That was when I got my first job which was overseas in the Middle East. When I returned in 76 I lost interest in the music scene in the UK because it had changed dramatically. The punks came in and while energetic and completely different, musical ability was not of importance any more. In fact musical ability was actively despised. That turned me off entirely. I got into gliding and spent a lot of the time at the gliding club and doing different things. I agree with you that the Top of the Pops from the 80s and the 90s is pretty awful generally. But you don't have to look at it! There is good and less good with everything.

A program I really do miss from BBC 2 in the 70s was the Old Grey Whistle Test. Now that was a program worth saving! Unfortunately when the punks came in, the atmosphere changed, and they decided, the powers that be, that live music performances by proper bands were no longer worth broadcasting. That is a damn shame! That was a very good programme. Bring it back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCQ3yKAU1p4 David Bowie - Queen Bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UroApoVbKn0 Elton John - Tiny Dancer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6fCOGyVJg Captain Beefheart - Upon The My O My

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIUKHcVdgPE Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX66xTukMRU Little Feat - Fat Man in the Bathtub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOB9pt9UKNc Robin Trower - Bridge Of Sighs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6fcfQgMcpw Joan Armatrading - Down To Zero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtU-9EMSYu0 Tim Buckley - Dolphins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhPw6cHzyWU Ry Cooder - Vigilante Man, Going to Brownsville

Post Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:54 am 

Heres some vid's if you're interested.

Genesis 1973 https://we.tl/t-CZ0DVmVTL2

Zeppelin 1970 https://we.tl/t-AO6BcGpItA

Zeppelin 1975 https://we.tl/t-YWpu68rRQw

Page & Plant 1995 https://we.tl/t-WwWMnO9UsK

7 Days to download, enjoy boy's.

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:11 pm 

What ho! A Podcast. Evil Genius with Russell Kane. 30 minutes long.

Someone we oldies know: John Lennon. Evil or Genius?

(or via the Podcast app).

I always thought of him as a bit bad. I'll say no more at this time.

Pip pip.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:04 pm 

Way way back, when I was a lot younger and the Beatles were new... the girl I was going out with said Lennon was her favourite because "he looked a bit of a bully..." :o

And she'd only seen him on TV in glorious black and white.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:49 pm 

'If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people'
Tony Benn

l l

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:26 pm 

Some punk was OK and I agree that disco was ear-bleedingly pathetic, as was the way "rock" had gone, with the likes of Yes and Genesis going up their own prog-sphincters.

Some groups wrongly thought of as punk (but weren't) were good - The Pretenders and Blondie for two examples. Peter Gabriel was good after he went solo. Of course, some Genesis was OK: I know what I like (in your wardrobe).

I expect people will disagree, as is their right. That's why there are so many kinds of music. Of the newer stuff, Muse is for me.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:39 pm 

Of the newer stuff, Radiohead

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:10 pm 

I've never really heard their works (except the track on radio). Creep, obviously. Recommend one album, please, and I'll start there via Music - ta.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:57 pm 

One album?

From The Basement 2007

From The Basement 2011

- Not Creep.

I missed out Pablo Honey because it was the first one and so far I haven't got to like it, or listened to it much.

Begin anywhere. Backdrifts, Hail to the Thief? Or anywhere else. Everything In Its Right Place, Kid A

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:17 am 

One album yes. I don't use that video sharing site. It comes under my "I'm not going to agree to Google T&Cs" thing. I don't discuss it either but thanks for the effort.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:43 am 

My reply is for everyone - not just you! But you have some names to look at.

Kid A

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:43 am 

I have been told ;)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:46 pm 

You asked .. ;)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:07 pm 

I did. For one album as a hook in. Your selection suggests that they don't actually have one good album.... :lol:

... but I now get that you were compiling your "hits" to share :tu:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Couch