[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - TV Play or Apple TV app
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post subject: TV Play or Apple TV app
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:22 am 

We planning on getting a larger TV, 43". Samsungs sold in one shop includes Apple TV app, but in another with TV Play. TV Play looks the better deal. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

IMac 21.5 May 2010 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 8 GB 1067 MHx DDR3 Sierra 10.12.6, Snow Lepard 10.6.8.
iPad Air2 11.1.1
iPhone 4S 9.3.5
iPad Air

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:07 am 

I've had Samsung TVs for a while. All 2019 and later "smart" models can download the Apple TV app which is only of use if you subscribe or buy movies from Apple. I don't know what TV Play is. There is no app of that name available for Samsung TVs of any age (I checked). I'm not disbelieving you but would you cite where you got that name from? There is a UKTV Highlights app I can't delete. It seems to be built in to Tizen. I seems to be a portal to a selection of things on iPlayer or subscription services - I've not looked as I don't need it. Samsung also pimp other things I don't want, like Rakuten.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:26 am 

Might be this https://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview-play

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:42 am 

Thank you both for your replies.

All is solved, just in case you think I’m doddery old man with failing eye sight (I am) is probably not best to do searches for products on iPad.

For TV Play, read TVplus

John Lewis,

Samsung UE43TU7100 (2020) HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 43 inch with TVPlus, Silver

which includes Apple TV app and lots of other stuff.

and comes with a 50% off sound bar offer. No idea whether it’s worth it. Hearing is poorer than my eye sight! Use over the ears headphones normally.

IMac 21.5 May 2010 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 8 GB 1067 MHx DDR3 Sierra 10.12.6, Snow Lepard 10.6.8.
iPad Air2 11.1.1
iPhone 4S 9.3.5
iPad Air

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:50 am 

"Samsung TV Plus
Instant access to 33 free TV channels and content for the whole family without the need for an aerial*. Experience the true potential of your TV straight out of the box.

*Requires Internet connection."

Also that TV has no headphone socket.

14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:56 am 

Samsung TVPlus is just their portal to catch up and probably pay tv too. I never used it. I prefer the stand-alone catch up apps. That TV will have that and you can get Apple TV too should you want it. Some of the 2019+ models can also stream via AirPlay. Not that I use that facility much.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:06 am 

Although it’s a bit of a downer Defcom, that information on no headphone socket is really valuable when trying to choose. Generally, we do use sub-titles, but BBC News, HIGNFY are so out of sync that OH finds them distracting, and that’s not fair on her.

Certainly not interested in Apple TV loughor but do want to be able to watch old programmes. Also we have a Panasonic recorder, plays our DVD’s so want to also keep something like that as well.

iPad Air2 11.1.1
iPhone 4S 9.3.5
iPad Air

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:31 am 

It will have apps you can download for iPlayer, UKTV, All4, ITV Hub, My5 and so on. You'll be covered.

Then if you want to pay out for stuff there is Netflix, Prime and Disney+ just for starters.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:56 am 

:tu:

iPad Air2 11.1.1
iPhone 4S 9.3.5
iPad Air

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:12 pm 

My headphones plug in via two plugs, one white the other red. But are cordless from charging unit to phones. Does that make a difference?

We've got an Amazon fire stick, is that now redundant?

iPad Air2 11.1.1
iPhone 4S 9.3.5
iPad Air

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:31 pm 

The full specs on the Samsung site show it has two HDMI slots.

That is presumably your Panasonic recorder and the Fire stick taken care of. I have four ports as I have more input devices. If you only need two then you are covered. It also has one USB port for a stick or drive so you can record Freeview. It will format it to a custom Samsung format so the media won't be any use elsewhere until it is re-formatted.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:08 pm 

There is no composite output for your headphones on that TV.

Found this in the manual.
"Multi-output Audio
You can turn on both the TV speaker and Bluetooth headphone designed for the hearing impaired at the same time. The hearing impaired can then set the volume of their Bluetooth headphone higher than the volume of the TV speaker without affecting the volume of the TV speaker, allowing both the hearing impaired and their families to listen to the TV at comfortable sound levels.
When you connect the Bluetooth headphone to the TV, Multi-output Audio is activated.
This function is supported by TU7 series."

Page 176 https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/cont ... 0222.0.pdf

14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:39 pm 

:D I’m confused def.com. “… no composite output for your headphones …” What is a composite output, please?

But the manual quote repeats what happens at the moment, my Sennheiser charger unit plugs into the back of the tele, I can have my volume louder than the TV’s.

To me, there’s a mismatch in the information.

iPad Air2 11.1.1
iPhone 4S 9.3.5
iPad Air

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:58 pm 

Composite=RCA audio output, tv does not have them.

The manual quote is for bluetooth.

14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:03 pm 

Thank you, that makes it very clear, which means I think, I’ll have to get Blue Tooth headphones. Yes?

iPad Air2 11.1.1
iPhone 4S 9.3.5
iPad Air

Board index » Couch