[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - What are you drinking?...
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:04 pm 

I'm tellin' ya, buddy: count on a bit more than 2 minutes on the way back.

Wouldn't want you to be missing anything on the telly.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:12 pm 

:lol: :lol: I wont there are 4 tellies in the pub.

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:00 pm 

Your warning level: [ 1 ]

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:41 am 

It is too early to be drinking (no, really) but I just had a microcask of delivered.

5 litres = 9 pints. It is now settling. I hope to open it early evening. It is a beer I enjoy when I visit Bath so I shouldn't be disappointed.

I had intended buying from a local brewery, like Gower, but they charge more than Bath Ales for the cask and then they wanted £7.99 to deliver it. Forget that (is the polite version).

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:53 pm 

^ Very nice. Just like a pint of real ale in a pub. I remember pubs (not that I go often). Malty, with hop on the burps.

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:36 pm 

White MacBook late 2007 - Snow Leopard iPhone 7 IPod Touch 2 Gen. iPad 6 Gen.
Nikon D5600 on

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:43 pm 

I don't really get along with Gem, which is just a matter of personal taste. Generally I'm a fan of the more hoppy beers and in the current wallet-bashing climate that means Tescos where it's cheaper than the pub.

At this moment in time Northern Monk are doing well with the hop oil texture in Faith. On the slightly maltier side Lagunitas IPA is very drinkable and, from Goose Island, I don't mind their IPA. Both between 5.5%-5.9%. Also very happy with Vocation's 6.5% Life & Death. Back in January I enjoyed a closing-time pint of Dementia but I can't remember which brewery it's from. It's 8% which is probably why.

Away from the supermarkets, when my wallet says yippee, there's an often-changing variety available for take-away or delivery from my local micropub, both keg and hand-pump.

On the stronger side some breweries have made claims they can't back up; they are hoping the alcohol level will let them get away with the lack of any meaningful content. I can't remember the names at the moment but a Welsh and a Manchester brewery are in there somewhere. Back down at the quaffing level I do wish those bloody sugary malty 'event beers' would disappear and leave the pumps room for something decent.

A very low point is Co-op's Triple Hop - at £1.60 a bottle it's worth a try, but only once. Knocked out under a Co-op label by the boring Robinsons brewery using vast amounts of malt and gawd knows how much sugar, it makes my teeth itch. Triple hop my arse, all three are all but undetectable.

Over the last year or more I've written something like 70 beer reviews (mostly scathing). I've drunk more than 70 pints though.

Blessed are the censors; for they shall inhibit the earth.
"Some day Dragon Balls could power the world!"
5893 posts on MF, not that I'm keeping count or anything.

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:54 pm 

Lucky I wasn't planning on sharing with you ;)

I usually guzzle whisky/whiskey in the evenings.

Talking of strong beer - who remembers Watney's Starlight? Weaker than shandy and you could drive after a couple without fear. I used to work in a pub in Bath after I finished uni. (mid 70s) serving that amongst others. I still remember many prices.

As this is "what are you drinking" and not "old man rambles", I'm on Famous Grouse right now.

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:21 am 

You could drink ANY amount of Watneys and stay sober... hmm, maybe that was the plan. Terrible effect on bladder and general guts though.

Well huzzah, finally it’s midday - my bar is open. Today’s lineup in drinking order:

Goose Island IPA 5.9%, leans towards malt but still hoppy
North Brewing Lost Cosmonauts DDH 6%, good flavours, a bit sour
Lagunistas IPA 6.2% (bottled), I think they’ve changed the recipe - not as hoppy as it once was
Vocation Life & Death 6.5%, good flavours, hops
Northern Monk Faith 5.4%, nice with hop oil texture

Could be an interesting Sunday, I’ve got each one in 4-packs.
Weakest last to calm down for beddy-byes.

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:47 pm 

This evening I have broken out the Penderyn Celt (Welsh single malt). I deserve a treat now and again. This in now. There will be an again.

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:15 pm 

Tucking into Evil Twin Brewing pale ale, 5%. Very hazy, fresh scent, ever so slightly sour with a delicate musty honey flavour which seems to fade half way down the glass leaving whichever citrusy hop ET threw in to carry this pale through to the bottom of the jug. It's also fairly rich so not a quaffing beer for me but very palatable.

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:49 pm 

Two Brewdogs:
Elvis Juice IPA 6.5%. Nice grapefruit flavour that holds all the way down
Dead Pony Club session IPA 3.8%. No real distinction to this beer

Both are very carbonated and although the Elvis is tasty, both beers lack hops, the old Brewdog enthusiasm and are ultimately an empty experience.

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:36 pm 

Some pinot noir I made from a quality kit last year. Unfortunately it is a warm day and the plonk is warmer than the ideal for a red. I put the bottle in the fridge but this glass will still get 'appreciated'.

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:00 pm 

Two disappointing Beavertown beers, Gamma Ray 5.4% and Lupuloid IPA 6.7%.
Maybe it's just me. They don't seem to be what they once were, or to be generous I suppose they could've been on the supermarket shelf too long. Fizzy, oddly tasteless and I expected the Lupuloid to pack a whole lot more wallop.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:02 pm 

Anyone tried this? One to avoid for me:
The Co-op is selling own-brand 5.5% Triple Hop, brewed by Robinsons, at £1.60 for a 330ml bottle. This beer is made of malt and sugar with just the very faintest citrusy bittering. The name is entirely inaccurate - Robinsons must mean they used three hops for the entire brewery. The price reflects the content... except it's too expensive.

Edit
Found this after posting. Robinsons refer to it as a craft beer:
https://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/about- ... ember-beer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Board index » Couch