[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - What are you drinking?...
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:48 pm 

Beerfest report #1:

Shepherd Neame Cinque Ale 4.1%.
Not as hoppy as it could be but still a very nice bitter, slightly fruity, very drinkable.

Birra Del Borgo Castagnale 4.4%.
Originally an Italian-brewed ale currently being knocked out by Everards. I didn't get any of the "delicate honey hints" and I'm not sure I got the chestnut reference either. Possibly not enough hops? Any more could have changed its character I guess. It went down nicely though.

O'Hanlon's Dragon Ale 4.5%.
I was very happy with (or by!) this one, a great best bitter. 'Nuff said.

Highwood Brewery Tom Wood's Vanilla Orchid 4.8%.
This one's completely bonkers, there's so much going on in one mouthful! You'll have to try it for yourself but don't expect to understand it. Recommended just for fun and a lot safer than a pint of Tia Maria.

Samuel Adams Blonde Ambition 5.5%.
This is an American brew recreated at Shepard Neame's brewery and is about as strong as a best bitter should get. Any more and ales get rather silly, the flavours die at the expense the alcohol content. I drank several pints as it really hit the spot, that was before I checked on its strength.

I'm in remarkably fine form today which demonstrates how good ales contribute to a lack of hangover. If I'd had only four pints of MacMullen's Cask last night, I'd feel knackered. I've got a blood test on Wednesday so I'm going cold turkey for a few days - brilliant timing, dang it.

Blessed are the censors; for they shall inhibit the earth.
"Some day Dragon Balls could power the world!"
5893 posts on MF, not that I'm keeping count or anything.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:26 pm 

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:09 pm 

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:38 pm 

Yeah, Wetherspoons Moon Under Water chain is the only beer-fest there ever is round these parts so I like to try and make something of it! I'm not an apple cider drinker, the chances of a pavement pizza are far too high. It's not the alcohol, it's the fact that the stuff always seems to be gooey and not easy to process. A Perry can be quite refreshing, pears seem to make a cider less ucky.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:15 pm 

There was a nice sounding perry on but I was being summoned home so didnt get that far. I usually enjoy a nice sharp cider but the Black Dragon was just so acidic! Was like drinking stomach acid!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:56 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:47 pm 

GLUG GLUG!!!.....

9.2% Automatically puts this in my personal faves list but bugger me this genuinely is the most amazing beer ever!! the aroma and taste is just absolutely incredible!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:08 pm 

Another yummy brew! packed full of chocolate and coffee flavours! a slightly more civilized 6%!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:20 pm 

Hobgoblin Cheers

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:31 pm 

Just had a nice warm cup of Ovaltine

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:42 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:49 pm 

Oh god Im a fanny!!!

Emma's gone to pick up a friend and Ive asked her to fetch some lager thats 'not too strong'!!

Im sorry Lazzo, Ive failed you!...

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:54 pm 

Theakstons XB, Greene King IPA, MacMullens Country. Urrrg...

EDIT: Oh, sorry Dave, I didn't really absorb what you typed there. But yes, whatever, you've let me down you pansy! Your subscription is under review.

Cor blimey, do you have any idea what It's like to type in this condition? It's like a fistful of soggy turtles. Nighty night!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:24 pm 

Beerfest report #2:

Even Even Winter Glory 4.3%
Nice and simple bitter with a hops aftertaste, goes down well but not necessarily a session ale at this strength... like that would stop anyone.

Coach House Regency Bitter 4.0%
Quaffable but no nose. Very light malt flavour, not hoppy but slightly dry. It has no subtlety and should be a 3.2%.

Cotleigh Brewery Ettaler Lager Ale 4.8%
I think this stuff was brewed specially for this Wetherspoons festival. Smells like paint, tastes like Duluxe. Yuk. It will ruin your day, your night and your taste buds. Avoid with extreme prejudice!

Mordue Coriander 1879 4.9%
A brown ale, hoppy, a bit sticky but not sweet and slides down well but I'm not convinced I detected any coriander, which is no surprise as I was still reeling from having my gob mugged by the Ettaler Lager Ale above.

Harviestoun Wild Hop IPA 4.9%
For some reason, this is categorised as a 'golden ale' - we disagree, it's a really good best bitter with what is best described as aggressive hopping. It would be very easy to get out of yer box on this one.

Wadworth Pixley Blackcurrent Stout 6.0%
Smells like melted lino. Tastes like melted lino. All alcohol. It's been a long time since we've left any beer in the glass but we made an exception for this one, we got through two-thirds but that definately ended our night.

I shall be testing a few more during the week, this beer festival ends next Sunday and there are still several brands I'm looking forward to.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:52 pm 

Beerfest report #3:

A slightly disappointing turnout last night, there were only three drinkable ales from eight pumps. The other five pumps were ciders or previously reviewed ales. Hilden Brewery Scullion's Porter (4.2%) was available but somehow I forgot to try it, I'll have a go at that on Thursday... which, co-incidentally, is their curry night. Someone was enjoying the Wadworth Pixley Blackcurrent mentioned above, which highlights the differences between people's appreciation of 'ale' and 'speciality beers'. :)

Jersey Brewery Liberation Ale 4.0%
Billed as a 'golden ale'. Hops, definately dry with the merest hint of sweetness and the tinyest twinge of stickiness. It has a texture I can only describe as slightly 'rustic'. Extremely drinkable and at this strength, it's an all-nighter.

Vale Brewery Red Kite 4.3%
A darkish ale, hoppy but not overdry with a mildly lingering malt. An easy-to-drink best bitter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next

Board index » Couch