[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - What are you drinking?...
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:00 pm 

A single malt whisky I don't recall having before. Jura Journey. I'm not good at describing taste. It says 'rich fruit and gentle smokey notes' and I think I see what they mean. Very pleasant. This won't be the last glass by any means.

The following is from the distiller's site:

COLOUR Amber gold
NOSE Aromas of vanilla spice, citrus and a hint of light smoke
TASTE Cinnamon, pears, pecans and toffee fudge
CASK FINISH Jura Journey is matured in American White Oak ex-bourbon barrels

I don't like cinnamon or pecans. Lucky there are not actually any in this.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:35 pm 

I'm having my first glasses of Monkey Shoulder blended malt. I'd put a link but they want age details and consent for cookies before opening.

It is light and easily drinkable. Neat, in my case. Less harsh (or is that smoother?) than an acceptable normal pub whisky. I ordered some more. I deserve it. Probably. Possibly.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:21 pm 

I just mixed some runny honey and Jack Daniel's. It is a big glass. Best I take it slow as the sun may or may not be over the yardarm. I have no nautical knowledge.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:51 pm 

It always is somewhere in the world.
Some pubs are having a hard time finding ales. The breweries justifiably aren't keen on producing stock they can't guarantee selling.

Blessed are the censors; for they shall inhibit the earth.
"Some day Dragon Balls could power the world!"
5893 posts on MF, not that I'm keeping count or anything.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:56 am 

We must all have noticed that some boozers are doing better than others. Getting into Wetherspoons and ordering drinks and food is diabolical, although the rules seems to vary from pub to pub. 'Spoons has also gone way more soulless than it was before this CV19 mess turned up.

The smaller independent pubs and micros look like they've got their CV19 approach more together and from what I've seen (believe me I've been looking hard) they are somehow getting cask ales in. Not always great ones to sure but it's sort of just about happening, although my local micro is considering sticking to craft keg for the foreseeable.

Maybe the 'good' breweries have started producing smaller barrels specifically for the micro market? Might not be a bad idea at a time when 'Spoons, Greene King and the like must be wondering how far away the brink is. Operators like Marstons/Carlsberg, Punch et al must be struggling. The combo of Marstons/Carlsberg two billion in sales won't mean diddly if nobody's visiting their contracted pubs, although they all own rather a lot of land so probably don't really give a toss anyway, which unfortunately matches the care taken in their brewing.

Support your local, even if you don't drink you'll miss the place when your town turns into an area with nothing but brick boxes occupied by people who are permanently strangers.
https://www.longlivethelocal.pub/

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:34 pm 

A large glass of Yellow Tail rosé, the bottle of which has been unopened in my fridge for a while. I had newer stocks to get on the bottle rack so what's a person to do? Easy drinking.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:36 pm 

Penderyn single malt (Celt). Welsh. Makes a change. It was a deal from Tesco, otherwise too expensive for me.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:42 pm 

Naked Grouse whisky.

"An interesting addition to the Famous Grouse range, this was aged in first fill sherry casks, and is based around malt whisky from Highland Park and Macallan."

Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt
Nose: Smooth and oily with notes of cherry compote, buttered granary toast, malt, custard and peach.

Palate: Sherried and thick with notes of sultanas, sticky toffee pudding, raspberry jam, Victoria sponge, custard and crème caramel.

Finish: Medium, with notes of cocoa, oak and just a soupcon of smoke on the very tail.

That all sounds a bit poncey but it is different. I hate sherry and it does have what I'd call a hint, but nothing that puts me off in this blend.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:40 pm 

It is early, I know, but I bought a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon Kentucky Frontier Whiskey. 45% volume and just started sampling. It tastes strong. Very nice.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:08 pm 

Something I have not had before. Maker's Mark Kentucky straight bourbon. 45% vol. I have it neat. Very smooth and warming. Excellent, Smithers.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:03 pm 

Six pints of Redemption Kazbek while watching Asylum Pictures Mega Piranha. It's the only way to survive.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:18 pm 

Jim Beam Rye - pre-prohibition style.

Not one I've had before. Nor any rye. Quite nice. I wouldn't want to be drinking the kind of general whisky I imagine that was available in the local speakeasy during prohibition.

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:46 am 

Sat in the garden drinking Prosecco - but not just any Prosecco ………

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 5:07 pm 

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:06 pm 

Some JD's Gentleman Jack. It says it is double mellowed but tastes like Old No.7 to my mind. I could do a taste test but meh. At least I have finally tried it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Board index » Couch