[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Wanted - Apple USB SuperDrive **** UNWANTED NOW ****
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » For Sale/Wanted

Forum rules

Please post in the title when the item is sold or wanted items are found.
One thread per sale/want.

Commercial/business ads will be deleted.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:53 pm 

The SuperDrive in my iMac has decided to expire.

Has anyone got an external SuperDrive they no longer want?

One of

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:56 pm 

You realise, I'm sure, that ANY USB DVD-RW drive wil work? At half the price on Amazon, that would be my choice.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:01 pm 

Yes of course but I don't want any DVD drive. Plus a lot of them use two USB ports and the SuperDrive doesn't.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:28 am 

Be careful you don't buy one of the original USB Superdrives as I think they only worked with the Macbook Air - only later models worked with any Mac. Think Apple used firmware to stop you using early models on any Mac.

* Witty statement goes here *

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:17 pm 

Not sure if this helps, or just muddies the waters further!...
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5630?view ... cale=en_US

The original model Apple called the 'MacBook Air SuperDrive' and I think the later model was called the 'Apple USB SuperDrive' and is compatible with most Macs from when it was launched onwards.

EDIT: Apparently, you can hack a file to enable the original Macbook Air Superdrive to function on any Mac - see here...
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/04/02/use-the- ... lmost-mac/

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:29 pm 

Thanks Steve. Looks like it's a no-go then as I cannot be bothered hacking anything just to make it work.

I shall be buying something else then.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:55 pm 

As long as you get one of the recent models, it should work - it's only the first generation that was designed only for the Macbook Air and the Mac mini that you should avoid.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:05 pm 

Now I've read the system specs on the new SuperDrive, it says that it's only compatible with a 2012 iMac.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:18 pm 

Really? Wow, you're right, that's a bit tight of Apple isn't it? Can't see a reason for that technically. Guess you're stuck with either replacing the internal or buying another brand external drive.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:31 am 

Ordered a Apple SuperDrive look-a-like from Amazon on Friday and its already been dispatched. £30.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:27 pm 

In case anyone is interested, this is what the look-a-like looks like.

And a if you want to buy.

Board index » For Sale/Wanted