[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - UPDATE: Unlocked iPhone 5s or 5 - Sorted, I hope
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » For Sale/Wanted

Forum rules

Please post in the title when the item is sold or wanted items are found.
One thread per sale/want.

Commercial/business ads will be deleted.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:19 am 

I'm still looking for an iPhone 5s or 5 - if anybody is planning to sell, I would appreciate hearing from you.
(12th October)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:09 pm 

Fuggedit - I've just bought an iPhone 5s 16 GB. Hopefully, all things being equal, with a following wind and if the sun rises in the east tomorrow and there are no snaggettes occurring, I should be sorted!

I was hoping to buy a 32 GB one, but there seems to be fierce competition for those. Actually one went today for £420 and it didn't even include the earbuds. Pah!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:42 am 

It arrived by Royal Mail special delivery half an hour ago. It includes four cases, three are cheap plastic clip on, one is faux suede and reasonably okay but I bought a much nicer one from Dan so I shall be using that.

It appears pristine. It has been kept in a case throughout its life but I don't know how old it is, the earbuds do not appear to have been unpacked. I switched it on and it went to the setup screen and then I switched it off again.

I am told that it is on iOS 8.0.2, and I've heard some people complaining about iOS 8 and wishing to go back to iOS 7. Is that a wise idea for me to do? If so could you point me to a link which tells me how to do that please.

The next question is what should I do about a service provider? I want to get the best out of the phone but I don't really want to spend a lot of money on a contract of any sort so pay-as-you-go is what I'm thinking of, I don't expect to make a lot of phone calls and won't be making 1000s of text messages with it. I would like something that is good value, works well and gives me a data connection and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Finally, any recommendations for good software (yes I know that such an open question as to be impossible to answer), what about a free satnav? Any other good free apps that come to mind, or paid ones that are worth it? Sorry that is too vague, well any input is better than no input!

Last edited by Leewave on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:54 am 
Site Admin

If it's unlocked and O2 gives a good signal in your area, you can't go far wrong with .
No contract, set and forget (auto top up or bundle purchases). Some very good deals there too.
I currently use a £7.50 per month GoodyBag that gives me 250Mb of Data, 200 minutes and unlimited SMS. I may shortly be moving to £10/m to include 1Gb of 4G data 8-)

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:46 pm 

Stay with iOS8, there is nothing really wrong with it. It has some bugs but ALL releases of iOS have had bugs in.

Apps
Tweetbot - don't use the official Twitter app, just don't.
Evernote
1Password ;)
Dropbox
Chrome
Convertbot
Dots
Threes
Snapseed

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:50 pm 

Okay Chris, but weren't you complaining about the photo app or something in iOS 8? Some other people didn't like the feel of it and wanted to go back I thought.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:37 pm 

Yep but it's something I'm living with. I will need iOS 8 when Yosemite comes out for Handoff, iCloud Drive etc.

Look and feel of iOS8 is the same as 7. The big change is from 6 to 7 (or 8).

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

Camera Roll is supposed to return in iOS 8.1 so I hear.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:42 pm 

Heard the same thing myself. We shall see.

Board index » For Sale/Wanted